CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER NINE: KID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ice! You needa learn how to lock your door!" My eyes opened immediately, so did Tom's. Slider was in his apartment and was in the kitchen. "Get under the bed." He told me, I nodded and got up, then crawled under the bed. It wasn't dirty as all, it was surprisingly spotless.

"What do you want, Slider?" Kazansky asked as his door opened. "You said you weren't feeling' the greatest," Slider shoved a bag in his chest. "Thought I'd bring ya something to get Nick outta your head man." Slider said cockily. That made my blood fucking boil.

"You have a lady over?" I heard Slider sniff. "No." Kazansky replied. "It smells like a fruit job here, Ice." Slider smacked his gum. "Kennedy came over for dinner last night, nothing special." Tom replied coolly. I saw Slider's face become slightly offended, for what reason I don't know.

"Man, that girl is hot as shit," Slider said. "I'd tap that ass anytime I could." Kazansky glared at him. "Ya know, Ron, she's actually a pretty nice person once you get to know her some." He said. "Yeah whatever. Her face could use a little work, all those damn spots on her face, makes her look stupid." Slider said, I rolled my eyes. As if I would listen to someone that looked like my uncle.

"Do you have to criticize everything?" Kazansky asked. "I called her hot, I don't think that's criticism." Slider laughed. "Saying that you'd sleep with her then leave her is." Kazansky said. Slider whistled. "You got the hots for her?" Slider asked. "And what if I do, huh?" Tom got all up in his face. Slider put his hands up in surrender. "Yeah whatever man, see ya." Slider left and Ice bent down to look at me. "You can come out now." I just rolled my eyes.

"Is my scent really that strong?" I asked, Kazansky smiled. "Have you seen how big his nose is? He can smell all the way to China." He threw away the bag Slider gave him and looked in the fridge. He hadn't even put a shirt on, which really fucking suprised me.

"Sure you don't wanna stay for breakfast?" Kazansky asked me. "I make a mean omelet," he let out a small smile. I couldn't help but listen to him, taking a seat on a chair by his table.

"Do you think Slider is gay?" I asked, making Tom quickly turn around as the stove was going. "I mean, I wouldn't put it past him..." Tom trailed off. I just smirked in response. "You heard what he said, didn't you." He told me, setting a plate in front of me. I just shrugged in response. "It aint the first time i've heard those words, Tom." I looked at him and he just nodded.

"No woman should hear shit like that." He said, eating his own food. "I grew up with four brothers, it wasn't uncommon." I shrugged, eating. I swear this was the best tasting omelet I have ever eaten in my entire life. "This is the best breakfast I have ever had." I ate more of it. "You weren't lying," I made him smile. "Thank you."

-

I got a call about an hour after I had gotten to my own place. I had showered, put a clean pair of clothes on and was just about to start on my hair.

"Hello?" I asked.

"This is Kennedy Collins.." the person trailed off.

"Yes. Who are you?" I asked.

"Im calling down from the medics, James Black is here. He says he's your backseater." The medic said.

"What happened?" I asked, he sighed.

"I think you want to come see for yourself." I left within minutes.

I put a ball cap on and a pair of converse and ran down the stairs of my apartment, almost falling actually. I mean, why would the little princess be in the hospital for christ sake? He has never done anything to hurt himself before, I mean, he's the most cautious person I have ever seen in my life. He's afraid of birds for crying out loud.

I walked in to the medic tent and into James's room, seeing a nurse right beside him. I got a better look at him. His face was all cut up, so was his torso. He was bruised all over, head to toe. He didn't look like himself. The nurse noticed me in the doorway and got up. "Ill leave you two be,"  she told me with a smile. I took her place and held his hand.

"What the hell happened?" I asked, scanning over his body once more. "Bar fight." he groaned. A grin appeared on my face. "A bar fight? Really?" I asked, he nodded. "The first time I ever went to a bar by myself..." he breathed in. "im sorry Nix, I really am." He told me. "Why the hell are you sorry? Im not the one who's all beat up," I smiled at him. He let a grin of somesort come on his face.

"Doc says i'll never fly again," He told me, my face softened. "He said i've taken so much to the head and guts, ill only be good for a cargo co pilot." he attempted to laugh, but just moaning and groaning came out. "You'll always be my little backseater, you know that right?" I told him, he nodded. "You'll always be my asshole pilot." I smiled at that. "Yeah right. You know you love me." he just smiled at that.

"Lieutenant Collins," an officer said in the doorway. "Yes sir?" I asked, standing up. "Admiral Metcalf has asked for you." He said, I nodded. "Ill be back in a bit." I ruffled his hair and walked out of the room, the officer behind me.

"What's your name, kid?" I asked, walking across base. "Jake Madden, Ma'am." He told me. I continued walking with my sunglasses on, not even glancing at the kid. "Do you know what Viper wants?" I asked. "No ma'am." He responded. "Im assuming it is about your RIO, seeing as he cannot fly anymore." he told me. I just gave him a nod, not speaking to him anymore.

"Ms. Collins, glad you came." Viper said as I stood in the doorway. "Take a seat." He walked over to the door and shut it, then took a seat at his desk. "I saw your RIO about thirty minutes ago, im sorry. " he started, I braced myself for the information I was about to receive. I knew I wouldn't like it, but I had to deal with it.

"What was your relationship with Goose?" he asked. Tears stung my eyes just thinking about him. "He was one of my bestfriends." I paused. "Along with Maverick." I answered him in a monotone voice. He nodded. "It was very unfortunate, what happened." he said, I nodded. "It's also very unfortunate what happened to your RIO, Mooney was it?" he asked. "Yes sir." he pursed his lips, trying to find the correct words.

"You've won this trophy by a long shot," he told me. "You and Kazansky tied. You'll both be getting your name on that plaque." he said, a small smile appeared on my face. "You have the choice of joining Iceman in his flying, becoming an RIO, or a pilot, you two would decide that. Or, Mr. Madden will take Mooney's place." Jake stepped into the room. "I won't join Iceman, sir. As much as I admire his piloting, I do not want to be flying with him." Viper nodded. "I guess its settled then." he got up. "I suggest you two spend some time together." he pointed and left. Asshole.

Madden and I left his office. "Whats your callsign?" I asked. "It's Ac- '' I cut him off. "Well now its kid." I came eye to eye with him. "When youre up in the air with me, I dont want you screwing around. I dont know you, I dont want to know you. You tell me every detail of what's going on around me, you hear?" I asked, he nodded.

"The sign's Nixon." I held out my hand and he shook it. "I wont hesitate to yell at you in the cockpit. No joking around while we are in the air. Got it?" I asked, he nodded. "Yes ma'am." I looked him up and down. "You dont look older than 18." I said. "Im 23." he replied. "You must be one smart kid then. But you arent smarter than me, so dont act like it." I said, he nodded. "We fly tomorrow at 7." I finished the handshake and walked back to the medic tent.

I cant believe I have an idiot for an RIO now.