𝚃𝙴𝙽

✍︎

    It was the following Friday when Mr. Keating had us all in our gym gear as we walked out to the field. He had a bag of footballs slung over his shoulder as we all followed him. 

     I played with the drawstrings on my jumper, trying to stop the shiver as a result of the cold air hitting my legs. I stood beside Meeks, following Mr. Keating

     "Now, devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel." Keating said turning back to us "I want you all to come over here and take a slip of paper and line up single file."

      He put a brief case type bag on the steps and threw the footballs down, Turning back to us with a clip board in hand. He ripped out a page handing it to Meeks

         "Mr. Meeks, time to inherit the earth" he turned and looked at Pitts, ripping out another "Mr. Pitts, rise above your name and Ms. Perry, just a reminder" he said handing me a page. "Wait till your up there to read it"

      "I want you to pass these out to the boys, one apiece" Keating said handing Stick the clipboard.

     Five minutes later we were all stood in a line. Stick was by Keating placing the football down. Keating blew the whistle as Pitts readied himself.

"You know what to do, Pitts"

      "O to struggle against great odd. To meet enemies undaunted" Pitts looked up from his sheet to where Keating was.

     "Sounds to me like you're daunted. Sat it again like your undaunted"

     "O to struggle against great odds. To meet enemies undaunted" Pitts said again with more strength behind his voice.

     "Now go on" Pitts rang and kicked the ball with force before running to the side as the next person walked up.

"Yes! Next"

     "To be a sailor of the world, bound for all ports" he said, running and kicking the ball

"Next louder" Keating shouted, now excited.

      "Oh, I live to be the ruler of life, not a slave" Keating moved back towards the bench as Donnie made his way to the front.

      "To mount the scaffolds. To advance to muzzle of guns with perfect nonchalance" he ran and kicked the ball as music started up.

     We all looked over to the record play as Meeks looked back at us then towards Keating. Charlie came closer to me as I looked back at him meeting a confused gaze to which I shrugged my shoulders at with a smile before turning back to the front.

"Come on, Meeks! Listen to the music"

      "To dance, clap hands, exhaust, shout, skip, roll on, float on" I smiled at the boy as he kicked the ball.

     Hopkins was up next "oh, to have life henceforth the poem of new joys" he said unenthusiastically making me roll my eyes as he barely kicked the ball.

      "Oh! Boo! Ms perry show them how its done" Keating said. Charlie stood behind me pushing me slightly as I made my way to the front.