𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈-𝚂𝙸𝚇

✍︎

Today was the day. Today I would bury my brother.

     I stood infront of the mirror, flattening down the black dress. My hair pulled back into a ribbon, half of it up and half of it down.

     Neil would be going in a half and hour and the boys were all downstairs, each of them wearing their Welton uniforms.

     I took a breath as Charlie finished lacing up his shoes behind me. Standing, he came over to me, his arms wrapping around me as he left a kiss on my cheek.

     "You're gonna get through this Soph" he said looking at me in the mirror.

      "Sure doesn't feel like it" I said looking at him, his eyes were watering and the tears were threatening to fall. I turned in his arms and pulled him into me as he buried his face in the crook of my neck. I wished time could standstill and we could just stay like this.

      Charlie pulled away and straightened out his jacket before leaning down to kiss me.

      "Ill see you down there okay" he said moving towards the door. He took a breath before shaking himself and leaving the room. I grabbed my jacket off the bed and placed it over my arm as I left the room.

       The door shut quietly as I closed it behind me, my eyes falling on the room infront of me.

       Neil's door remained closed since that night and my head told me to leave it and go down to the living room, but my heart betrayed me as I stepped towards the door, opening it.

        The room looked as it always did, clean and proper. Neil never let his room get messed up. His bed sat untouched since that night. I looked around the room, standing, and making my way towards his desk. On it was paper and pens along with photos of us when we were younger and photos of him and our parents.

        I smiled at one of the photos that showed him and I with chocolate covering our faces as we stood in the kitchen making cakes. Another of us on the swings looking at each other.

         I turned on my heel, my eyes falling on the window. On it was the crown that he had worn as puck. My feet brought me across the room as I looked down at the crown. Carefully I lifted It and held it close to me. My eyes trailed down to the window again as a small white envelope caught my eye.

       Scribbled across the front of it in my brothers handwriting was the nickname only he called me.

𝓟𝓱𝓲

         I placed down the crown, taking the envelope in my hand. I opened it carefully taking a seat on his bed.

      The piece of paper within was folded in half, writing on either side.

         "Sophia" my head turned towards the door where my fathers voice had sounded from downstairs. I closed the envelope and place it in my coat pocket that was still hung over my arm.

       Standing from the bed I grabbed the crown making my way to the door as a chill ran over me.

       Downstairs my parents, a few family friends and the boys stood in the living room. As I stepped inside, my parents came to face me. The undertaker was standing there waiting for me to see my brother before he put the lid on the coffin.

        I placed my jacket down on the seat and made my way over to Neil, the crown still in my hand.

      "Sophia" I turned to look at my father with a wordless stare. I lifted the crown and placed it on my brothers hands.