𝚃𝚆𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚈 𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃

✍︎

     The hallways were back to usual with people crowding them. Classes resumed today and it didn't take long for people to get back into the swing of things.

     But it was different, there wasn't the usual jokes being throw out left right and centre. People weren't throwing things to each other or shouting across the hallways. It was like a bunch of zombies were roaming the school. Especially the juniors.

    I had a free period as the others went to physics but I was still making my way down the hall to an all too familiar room. Well technically the little office behind it.

     My next class was English, and word had got out yesterday that confirmed what had been happening the past few days.

     John Keating had been fired for something that was completely out of his hands.

     The plaque on his door that use to say J.keating was gone but I could hear rustling behind it and knocked anyway. The bell went for classes to begin and the hallways cleared out as the door infront of me opened.

     "Ms Perry" I smiled up at the man who, despite the recent events, hadn't completely lost his friendly persona. "Would you like to come in"

     "If that's okay sir" he smiled and moved to the side as I stepped into the small box room. There were boxes with mr Keating possessions in them scattered across the room.

     He moved a few books off the seat beside a small desk and allowed me to sit down "tea?" I pulled my eyes away from the box that said books and nodded with a smile

    "Yes please" he busied himself over by the small sink as I took in the bleak room.

"Would you like some milk or sugar in that?"

     "No thank you. They really didn't give you much space do they?" He paused for a second before looking at me over his shoulder with a smile

"No, barely any"

     "Why is that? It's inhumane" I said as he walked back over towards me and handed me the cup with one for himself.

     "They didn't want worldly things distracting me from my teaching" he said as I nodded and took a sip of my tea "how are you?"

     I took a breath and put my cup back onto the small saucer beneath it "I'm okay, I guess" I looked around the room before looking back to Keating

"And with Charlie gone now?"

     "I miss him but there's nothing I can do about it. Just have to keep going I guess" Keating looked at me like he was trying to study my emotions "at least that's what everyone keeps telling me. That and 'it's going to get better just give it time"

    "Guilty" he said holding up his hands as I thought back to the day in the graveyard.

      "Sorry, I didn't mean you. I mean people who don't know us. People who can say that and come to the funeral and then go home without that feeling that something is missing. It's ironic People who have lost nothing telling people who've lost everything that it's okay and to keep your head high" I shook my head as my Keating let out a small chuckle

     "It's almost cruel isn't it" he said looking at the desk and shaking his head before taking a sit of his tea.

      "I'm really sorry for everything my father has done" he looked up to me and put down the cup swallowing the tea

      "You're not responsible for your fathers actions Sophia"

      "And neither are you. Yet your still losing your job because of them" I told him as I placed the cup and saucer onto the desk