Holly O'Donnelley's POV • High School

Author's Side Note ~
Remember mysterious Miss "???" from Espen's debut chapter? Here she is! Meet Holly O'Donnelley, his auburn-haired sister with a power that's too . . too powerful to contain. I hope you'll love her the way I love the future I have planned for her. Enjoy!
--Katty 💙

"No," I say, not quite meeting his eyes. "No. I want you to make it big."

"Then what's the problem, Holly?" His agitation sparks more fear and confusion in my gut.

"I dunno, Finn, maybe it's because I'm going away to a new school within the month. Maybe it's because you'll be away for another year and a half. Maybe it's because my mum's been on the lam since my brother and I were born. Maybe I've gone completely yumpy, but I don't see how you haven't noticed that I still can't control this thing yet! I can feel it, Finn. I can feel it growing inside me." My tone rises with each sentence.

He's silent for a good two minutes. "Hollyhock, if I could fix this, I would. In a heartbeat. I wish to God that I could take you with me. But shooting starts in two days, and Akita the neighbourhood curmudgeon is a Scrooge with tickets and setups. And as for your . ." He pauses. I raise an eyebrow. "Your talent, you're going to that school specifically to learn to control it, yes? Everything will be fine-- you will be fine. And we," he says, pulling me closer and kissing my forehead. "We will be fine, too."

I nod, pulling away. "Okay. I meet my brother next week, at the school. He's been there for a while now, on the boarding program. I'm pretty excited," I smile slowly. "I haven't seen him in ages."

* * *