Zaria Romanoff's POV • High School

I stand in the left wing, arms crossed and eyes on fire. He walks off the stage after a roar of laughter from the audience, an indulgent bow and a standing ovation. And I am pissed.

The front curtains draw back together and backstage lights are switched on. Roderick walks up to me, a big satisfied grin pasted on his face. I can feel my scowl deepening with his every step.

"Hey, Zaria," he says, his smile broadening. "That's an awesome crowd out there! They've loved every single act tonight!"

My fire dies and is replaced with ice. I look him in the face. "Yeah, me too. Oh wait, every single act except yours." I can feel the bite and poison in my words, but I don't care.

His confusion is evident, and I roll my eyes. He looks at me with concern. "What's going on, Babe?"

I scoff. "You don't get to call me that right now. And you really don't know? Do you realize how hurtful and annoying your bits about me are? I get that I'm your girlfriend, but "comic material" is definitely not under that category. I think I've told you this before, have I not?"

He avoids my eyes like a child. "I suppose it was . . somewhat insinuated."

"Insinuated." I laugh-- a sharp, bruising sound. "Right. Well, let me just insinuate something for you right now, a little more clearly. Take notes if you want. Keep trying to further your comedic career by making jokes about your girlfriend, you won't have one anymore." With that, I stalk away. At the exit to the parking lot, I turn back to his dumbfounded face, feeling like slinging back one more thing. "And, by the way, I don't color-code my wardrobe." A good slam of the door behind me, and my work here is done.

***