Laerika's mother's (Grace's) POV • 5th Grade

"Am . . . am I a . . monster?" Her pretty little mouth trembles.

"Of course not, love!" I say quickly. "You're absolutely beautiful."

"So are nymphs, Mum. You know what they do to people," Laerika shoots back, using bravado to try and calm herself.

"Darling, you've always known you and your brother have my blood," Loki soothes gently. "We just didn't know you also had the er . . the look."

"Elias doesn't," she points out with a weak little shrug, tears streaming down her now cerulean cheeks. Her eyes are a deep, striking scarlet.

"As far as we know, no. No, he doesn't," I agree softly, pressing her side against mine as we sit on her bed. "But that doesn't mean a thing. You're both equally special; your flair just includes occasionally having pretty blue skin, red eyes, and ice magic."

Laerika bravely smiles at my lighthearted words, but I know she's still quite upset.

** (Laerika's POV) **

"What do you mean, you "go blue"? What is that, exactly?" Mason asks, a small smile playing at his lips.

"Her dad's a Jotun, Mase. Her body can revert to the native look of the frost giants of Jotunheim. Seriously. Am I the only one who did the reading?" Jack grins and punches Mason in the arm. Mason laughs, clearly unconcerned by his ignorance.

"Cool," Derek says, ignoring them and looking at me in admiration. "Can you show me?"

I'm pretty unprepared for the instant acceptance, and I shrug. "I don't think I can control it, yet. It just kind of . . happens."