Howard Stark's POV • High School

We walk into the studio just in time to hear the opening chords of the song, the beat steady and the melody somber. But not only somber.. It sounded strong, powerful. Defeated, but only temporarily. We take a seat while we watch the band performing behind the Plexiglass.

Kenzie has her eyes closed, hair rumpled by the heavy earphones. She grips one of the phones, getting as far into the lyrics as she can. She breathes in, letting it go on a strong but quiet note. The drummer picks up after her, gradually crescendoing with the guitarist, pianist and violinist as they take their cues. The bassist keeps them on the line, adjusting the stride with Kenzie's tempo. Bursting from the recording room the song tumbles together, gathering volume until it reaches peak intensity as a wave does when it gathers in tide.

The sickly sweet smell of ready roses
Not sure whether to live or die
Not worth it, not enough she supposes
Now she's back, and admits that it's worth another try

Take it, take it from here
The sound of thorns whispering
Threatening softly in her ear
"Cry, cry and give up!"
Tell them no--she'll try, try and stand up
Ready, rose? Ready for another scream, ready for another go
Ready, rose? She'll take the lead, turn the tables, save the show
We pull for you, we cry for you, you know it's true
My ready rose, I believe in you

The violinist spins a bittersweet solo from his bow on the strings, and Mackenzie opens her eyes for the first time. She catches my eye and grins. Giving one of the tech guys in the booth a thumbs up, she exits the glass-paneled room while the band continues scoring. Shoving the phones down around her neck, she strolls in with a sigh and a smile.

"Jack!" She squeals, arms open wide.

"Who are you, and what have you done with my sister?" I yell, laughing hysterically while I pick her up and spin her and circles. "How could you not tell me about this?! This is incredible!"

"Put me down, Jack. Anyway, you haven't seen anything, yet." I set her back down. She laughs at my still-incredulous expression and accepts a bottle of water from an aide nearby.