DRAGONFLIES

𖦹INTERLUDE EIGHT;                                              DRAGONFLIES 

once upon a time, summer was forever.

if you really try hard enough, the sun will come back. their promises trickle through your mind like honey through porcelain. it's been years since that sweetness, but you can't seem to wash the stick of their lies away.  you taste sugar on the tip of your tongue, or is that salt? lies laced in your life so tightly it binds. it's a verse you've practiced since you were a girl. the lines come so easy, so sharp, you feel nothing. it's easy to be mild, little summer child. you shine your light on others to fill the darkness in yourself. you haven't breathed since august, so afraid to hurt a fly. you rely on sticks and stones to break your bones, for the words have always hurt. in the gaps between their teeth, still you search of summer. the laughter in your lungs is composed entirely of irony. criticism bit like winter winds, so you bite your skin till red flowers bloom. pomegranates, plums, roses and rubies. you still crave those wonderful flavors of summer. you tend to others so gently, but in your eyes lay loneliness. and you are ashamed. in your ribs there's a hunger, a need to be seen. forever in the background of your very own story, you let others take the spotlight. you wrap the night around you like a blanket. you live in make believe, constructing friends out of fairy tales. you could never face the music, for summer never existed. you could never slay your dragons, so instead you chased dragonflies.