REGRETFUL NIGHTS

𖦹 INTERLUDE SEVEN;                   REGRETFUL NIGHTS 

how did we become this?  i whisper to the walls, fingertips slipping and fingernails breaking through the cracks in our foundations. like a crumbling building, broken on the beams but never truly desecrated, we can't let go of the messes we've made. i can't untangle myself from you, for you are a part of me, like infernal lace tangled in a heap. like the teeth of wild dogs sinking into my skin, i've grown used to the experience of you. don't treat me gently, be as rough and wild as thistles on my thighs. stain me like the blood in my lips, and do so with no remorse. i am lost in the forest, bare skin on the ground, and the twisted roots of trees hold down my ankles. if i am these woods, then you are certainly the dark, swallowing me up with not a grain of guilt. i am but a shredded carcass, rotten to the core, so sink your lies into me like jaws to an apple. tell me that you hate me, that you never should have called, spit your drunken words at me so they lie in a puddle at my feet. i feel the sting like spoiled honey down my arms. you call again later, voice grainy on the phone. the cracks in your voice mirror the cracks in my walls, and i know how easily you slip through those flaws. a bird flies through the rafter, so you fly through my faults. how i've missed you so, how i ache to be drowned. like i said, you are darkness, as dark as the ocean at midnight. the saltwater of your mouth submerges my bruises, all my blisters and cuts in delicious destruction. hands tangled in hair, limbs melting to ichor, mouths pressed so hotly together we burn. we can't get enough, and we love so deeply that there's no return.