Chapter 2: Book Club

A week passes and by now, you've memorized 049's paperwork.

It was an odd discovery finding out through the paperwork, that 049's doctor's bag was also anomalous, and seemingly infinite.

One of the many thoughts going through your head right now is, how does 049 eat? It's discussed what he likes to snack on during logs but... how?

Thankfully, they gave you a cubicle to work in, along with your peers.

If you could have fit a desk in your lodging here, you would. Unfortunately, it's not spacious enough for anything more than a chair, bookshelf, and bed.

Perhaps when you rise in rank, you'll be able to request a larger room and personal study equipment!

"Y/N." A voice calls your name.

Leaning back and past the cubicle wall, you see Dr. Itkin approaching you.

Beside him is another doctor you haven't met yet.

"I'm willing to allow the meeting, especially because I believe it will help with our studies on 049 but.. are you willing to meet 049?" Dr. Itkin asked you.

You nodded, "If 049 wants to meet me in person, I can only see this as an opportunity to learn more about him."

Itkin pauses to think for a moment then nods back, "Then it's settled. Due to our concerns about whether or not you are deemed by 049 to have 'the pestilence' yet, he will be in minor constraints. Do not get too close, as he will have a decent amount of arm range."

You nod, "I understand, I'll keep that in mind during our meeting. Is there anything else I should know about?"

Itkin turns to the doctor next to him, and the unknown doctor holds out his hand to shake yours.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person, Y/N. I am Dr. Sherman." He introduced himself.

Taking his hand, he shook yours with a strong grip.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Dr. Sherman! I heard about the good word you put in about me! You're the reason I get to study 049, I'm very grateful!" You thank him with excitement.

He laughs, letting go of your hand, "It's nothing! We needed more talented people like you to study SCP's. Plus, you seem to be a perfect fit, for this one at least."

Itkin clears his through, "The bad news is, if 049 considers you to have this 'ailment', we will have to switch you to another SCP. Thankfully though, with how he has conversed with you before, we are safely assuming you don't."

Dr. Sherman nods, "049 has admitted to having trouble, rarely, determining if one has 'the pestilence' or not. Of course for this meeting, we can assure your safety and will have two guards on each side of the containment cell."

"Thank you, I appreciate the serious thought put into this meeting. There are some questions I want to ask 049, but I'm wondering if there's anything I should stay away from?" You ask.

They think for a second.

"Try not to disagree with 049 about its cure. The last thing we need is another frenzy incident," Dr. Sherman says, "...but, 049 has requested you bring any materials you have on your studies and hobbies. Would you like to do that? It's alright to decline."

You shake your head, "No thank you, this sounds fine to me! I'll gather what I can, of course, leaving the studies about him here."

The two doctors laugh, Itkin adding that it'd be a bad idea to show what we have logged about him.

Before you knew it, you were standing in front of 049's containment cell, your arms full of books and journals.

Taking a deep breath, you nod to the guards.