Chapter 5: A Bear and Breakfast

"It doesn't make any sense." You muttered, unable to sleep.

You gathered your clipboard and journal, heading to the office where your cubicle is in your pajamas, robe, and house shoes.

It was always slightly too cold in Site 19.

Yawning, you place your ID against the scanner and head in, sitting down and powering on the computer. Upon logging in, you saw minesweeper open in the corner of the screen.

You haven't given anyone your login information, and you definitely don't know how to play minesweeper.

Going to hover over it with your mouse, it suddenly closes.

Rubbing your eyes, you shook your head before laying out your journal and clipboard on your desk, copying your notes from the experiment and other information you gathered about 049.

Leaving out the fact that you can touch him without crumbling over and dying, of course.

What would happen if someone found out? You don't want to know what kind of experimentation you'd be put through. 

As you wrap your robe around yourself tighter, you feel something bump into your leg from beneath your desk.

Quickly you pulled your legs up and screamed, pushing your office chair away from your desk.

Looking beneath the desk, you see... a small teddy bear.

Its head turned up to you.

"Aw," you took a breath, laughing a little in embarrassment, "Who are you, little guy? Are you lost?"

It nodded, it's arms raised as if to ask you to pick it up.

You kneeled down, picking up the teddy bear gently to your chest and turning off the computer.

Making your way out, you pass by a group of guards and Dr. Itkin.

"Y/N! You're up late. In your pajamas?" He asked, looking between you and the teddy bear.

"I didn't think I'd run into anyone this late, I'm sorry. Ah! Guess what I found while working at my desk!" You said, showing the little bear as it waves its hand.

Itkin froze, the guards suddenly griping their weapons tightly, but not raising them.

"...how long has that been with you?" He asked, fear in his voice.

"Uh... only ten minutes... ish?" You said, holding the bear to you closely.

"That is SCP-1048, last seen at Site 24. It shouldn't be here... how in the world did it get here?" He started, grabbing his pager and calling for re-containment.

"I'm sorry Dr. Itkin, I haven't really read much about all of the other SCP's. Especially not the ones from other sites... is.. something wrong with this one? It's just a small teddy bear yet you seem so on edge..." You said worriedly.

"Dr. Carver from Site 24 told me enough about what it's done. Now, somehow, it doesn't seem.. it's all fine. No need to worry, Y/N, we'll get this all sorted out." He said, seemingly withholding information about 1048 from you.

1048 clutched to your chest as the re-containment unit arrived, all carefully guiding you to the entrance to keter containment.

You quickly looked to Itkin as he followed you and the re-containment unit into keter and to an unclaimed containment cell.

"Itkin.. why are we in keter containment?" You asked nervously, the teddy bear still holding onto you tightly.

"It's ok Y/N, I'll explain soon. For now, we have to contain 1048 here and adjust our protocol accordingly." Itkin said, opening the containment cell.