Chapter 11: A Fear of Love and Death

Earlier during your walk, it was mentioned by the computer than an SCP blocked the way between you two and the path towards the exit, forcing you both to find a new way out.

"What kind of SCP can't we look- oh..." You said, your voice trailing off.

The doctor nodded, "Let's not risk our lives to pass 096..."

Eating another snack and rubbing the tiredness out of your eyes, you began down a different path, nervous about where the two of you were heading.

Thankfully the computer was there to help you both.

...but what did 049 do to earn the computer's help?

Shaking your head, you continue matching 049's pace down the white tiled hallways, the dim lights reminding you that the main power still hasn't been restored.

How much longer will the backup generator last, feeding this entire building?

You had both arrived at an elevator, 049's gaze meeting yours before looking back at the elevator.

"We must take this down to get to the other side of the facility now..." 049 said, hitting the button.

As the doors opened, motioned for you to enter first, following after you.

After you both entered the elevator, the doors closing before you two, 049 pressed the button to the lower floor and it descended.

A soft catchy instrumental song played over the elevator's speakers, but the silence between 049 and you was still a little uncomfortable.

"So..," you started, "Have you ever tried.. escaping before? You seem to know where you're going."

049 turned to you before looking back towards the doors, nodding.

"I have tried, and on some occasions, even came close to escaping this dreadful place."

You twisted one of your feet around uncomfortably, knowing you've probably bothered him with such a question. It seemed like you reminded him of sour memories.

"Sorry- I shouldn't have brought that up... my bad-"

"No need to apologize, my dear doctor. All is well."

You nodded, the elevator stopping, doors sliding open.

049 led the way out, walking through very dark cylindrical corridors, the only light coming from the dim red emergency lights.

After half an hour of wandering around this basement-like level, all that seemed to accompany you and the plague doctor were crates wound up with plastic.

"Where is the next elevator... this place is spooky." You whispered to 049.

"I cannot help but agree with you... something seems-" 049 started, the sound of footsteps down an adjacent corridor making him go silent.

049 and you look down the corridor, the plague doctor grabbing you and swiftly hiding behind a crate, peeking around it as his arm was outreached in front of you - protecting you.

"Hello? Is someone there? I'm wounded!" A voice called out.

Quickly you grabbed 049's arm, almost jumping up and down with happiness, 1048 nearly falling off you.

"Doctor! We should help them! What if they can-"

His head raised a bit in surprise, wrapping one arm around your waist and his other hand covering your mouth, tucking both you and him as far possible in the corner of the crates.

Before you could complain or struggle against 049's grasp, the head of something like a de-skinned dog with jagged slimy teeth peeked around the corner, practically reaching into where 049 and you previously were.