Chapter 4: Trial and Error

"Are you alright.. Doctor?" You asked, on the edge of your seat.

He stood silently staring at the now slumped D-Class, his hand slowly reaching to his face.

"That displeased me." He said through is teeth.

You twisted in your seat for a moment, unsure of what to say.

He seemed angry? Hurt? You weren't sure.

Should you have thought more about about sending in a D-Class?

Taking a nervous breath, you leaned over to the mic.

"I'm sorry doctor, I wouldn't have- I apologize for what happened. I should've been more responsible and-" You started, 049 quickly cutting you off.

"Nonsense, my dear. This is not something you could have predicted nor prevented." He laughed under his breath, pulling his hand away from his face and looking towards the window.

It was silent for a moment, as you stared at him through the glass.

"Are you coming, doctor?" He asked, tilting his head a tad, his hands crossed behind his back.

"Oh! Y-Yes!" You said, hurriedly grabbing your notebook, documents, and writing utensil before rushing to the containment door.

Before you could open the door with your ID, one of the two guards quickly stopped you.

"Woah! Dr. Y/N, SCP-049 is not in restraints and is in proximity to the door. Are you sure you wish to enter?" He asked anxiously.

You nodded, "I cannot study this experimentation if he is restrained, but I'll be careful, I promise. Could you..?"

He hesitantly moved out of the way, the door opening and closing behind you after you entered.

049 stepped back a bit, looking between you and the D-Class on the floor next to you.

"What's the matter?" You asked.

"I.. I am not restrained. There are no guards present either..." He said, looking to the glass nervously.

"Oh! I'm in charge of myself now, doctor. Anything that happens is my responsibility." You ensured him, patting him on the arm.

"Now... what do we do with... them?" You ask, turning to see the unresponsive D-Class.

Before you knew it, the D-Class was on the operating table, your notepad ready in your hands as you watched him pull out his surgical supplies and clean his gloves.

"So.. you seemed to carry the D-Class pretty easily! Is strength a strong-suit of yours..?" You asked, your writing utensil hovering over the paper.

He turned to you, chuckling.

"Strength is not an.. 'anomalous' property of mine. It is something I've gained over the years of transporting bodies, to an operating table or not." He responded, pulling out and organizing his surgical tools.

You nodded, noting that down.

"Are you going to write down everything about me, doctor?" He asked curiously.

"O-Oh! Well, what ever helps! You are an interesting person after all, and it's my job to study both you and your cure.. if that's all right of course?" You asked nervously.

He hesitated before placing down the last surgical tool, his head turning to you before going back to his tools.

"You flatter me, doctor." He said, grabbing a scalpel and removing the clothes from the D-Class.

Quickly you turn your head, blocking the view of the D-Class with your notebook, face flushing with warmth.

"Is something the matter?" He asks, hearing him stop.