15.5

The Shinkansen Hikari bullet train to Kyoto was eerily quiet, Adonis had no problem avoiding the public and the press much to his delight. The Tokyo and Kyoto police had both came to the decision to shut the direct bullet train down until at least 12pm tomorrow, the last two that were running was the one Adonis was on and the one that ran in parallel from Kyoto to Tokyo. Smaller trains would operate multiple stop services for the public instead, luckily Adonis wouldn't be getting on any more trains anytime soon.

Chester had called during the journey, Aukai somehow had managed to get himself and Winnie out of the building relatively unscathed. He'd spared all the details except the fact they were both alive.

Five staff had been reported missing, presuming dead, since Chester had ended the call.

It was after 12am when the train rolled up in Kyoto station, the place swarming with police as he strode through past abandoned escalators and a station that would usually be packed to the brim. Not surprisingly however, the DRA were already waiting with a private car for him as soon as Adonis stepped one foot out the station, an office Adonis had never met stepped forward to greet him.

"Mr Cassidy, welcome to Kyoto, we'll get you transferred to Kyoto city hospital now" he wasn't just an officer, he was a young boy, and he looked scared to death as he bowed to Adonis. Adonis couldn't help but smile as he saw the boys hands shaking at his side. Walking forward and placing a hand onto the boys arm, he smiled sincerely.

"Thank you" Adonis didn't see the boy's reaction as he was bundled into the car, doors closed and racing off with sirens on in seconds. Everything was a blur up until the hospital, Kyoto was one of Adonis' favorite cities but nothing even remotely resembled it in his mind.

Warm colors lit up the gloomy sky, a light drizzle downpoured over Kyoto's traditional skyline. Adonis didn't say a word to any of the guards in the vehicle, but he knew each one kept glimpsing over at him, making sure he was okay. Kyoto city hospital came into view sooner than Adonis had realized, he was first out of the car and running in before anyone had chance to stop him.

"Aukai"

And before he knew it, Aukai was standing out of his bed in front of him, his eyes green with concern at the other male who stood shaking before him. Adonis turned, seeing the nurse and open door behind him, thoughts and heart racing. The nurse slowly shut the door, not until two guards of Adonis' took place on each side of said door.

"Adonis, why the hell are you here?!" Aukai placed a hand on his side, grimacing at the sharp pain that had stabbed his ribs as he'd gotten up.

Both men stood in silence.

"I don't know why I came, I think I just needed to see you" Adonis was truthful, and Aukai always prefered people being upfront. The room was dull, that hospital smell lingering in the air as Adonis moved and took a seat next to the bed where Aukai also slumped down onto.

"It doesn't matter, I appreciate you traveling the distance" Aukai couldn't lie either- he was more than glad to see Adonis, even more grateful that he out of everyone had made that journey.

"Is Winnie okay?" Adonis asked, Aukai nodded.

"Shook up but okay. She's in the room next to this one, she's fast asleep" Aukai reassured him, Adonis seemed to loosen up a bit, especially knowing both of them were okay.

"I'm guessing Vulcan doesn't know you're here" Aukai spoke lowly, Adonis didn't look him in the eye as he spoke.

"No he doesn't" Adonis didn't say anything else, for once Aukai didn't push the subject either.

"What happened" changing the subject was necessary, and they had too much on their plates now to worry about trivial matters.

"Car bomb parked in the underground foyer. There's one thing the news were right about- this is definitely an inside job" Aukai sounded confident in his answer, Adonis nodded in response.

"How certain are you?"

"I'd say 80-90% certain, and when I'm certain I'm usually right" Aukai in fact was always right, so Adonis knew this was much more serious than originally anticipated.

"I can't fault you on that, do you think it's staff?" Adonis asked again, but Aukai shook his head hesitantly.

"I don't think it is, but whoever it is has access to our schedules and to our intercom system" Aukai looked Adonis dead in the eye, the latter gasping at the sudden theory.

"You think they've been listening in on us?!"

"They knew what floor me and Winnie were on. Even though the bomb was in the foyer there was a man on our floor with a gun. He was detained two minutes before the bomb went off, three minutes before we were meant to go on air to talk about this whole shit show." Adonis didn't know what to say.

"Was it the ringleader?" Adonis grabbed Aukai's glass of water that was situated on the table beside the bed, taking a long nervous sip.

"I doubt he'd waltz in here, we've gathered he loves the element of surprise"  Aukai just shook his head again, before he lay flat down on the bed with a huff. Adonis placed the now empty glass down, leaning back in his chair and sitting in a now comfortable silence with Aukai.

It was just like old times.

"We need to work together Adonis" It was spoken too out of the blue and too formally for Adonis' liking, but Aukai was right.

Although they also weren't joined at the hip at the moment, he wouldn't have any problems with teaming up. Aukai was a wise and strong leader, he also had the most capable team in Japan. He'd been an essential asset to capturing the Crusaders and bringing them to justice.

"Can you get Akira to track the vehicle on CCTV?" Akira was a maniac when it came to surveillance, he'd happily sit for hours and patiently watch for any signs of life through recorded footage.

"He's already on it. I went back in and got the registration before the car totally burned up" Aukai said calmly, Adonis tutted and rolled his eyes.

"Well that was a stupid move" Adonis muttered, Aukai huffed at his response.

"It had to be done"

"You're always the same-" Adonis started to speak, to say what played on his mind, but Aukai huffed again before sitting upright in a flash.

"No Adonis. Whoever planted that bomb came to kill. Whoever stabbed you wanted you to die. Whoever planted those creatures at the scrapyard wanted our property and to harm us in the process. They want us dead, they want me dead and they want you dead" Adonis just stared at Aukai as the temperature in the room spiked, Aukai's eyes flashing between bright green and bloody red, his power reflecting his mood. He wasn't just angry- he was pissed. Adonis hadn't seen him like this in a long time, yes he had his bad days but this was different.

There was a fire in his eyes as he spoke.

Adonis didn't interrupt his powerful display, and when Aukai spoke the last words of  his declaration, he didn't oppose them either.

"I'm taking no prisoners- I'll kill everyone who stands in our way."

.
.
.
.
chapter 15.5, end.
please feel free to comment, vote & share <3