Chapter 13: Trapped and Helpless

Sophia's heart raced as she tried to make sense of their situation. She looked around the dark room, her eyes straining to adjust to the dim light. They were both strapped to their beds, unable to move. She tried to speak, but found her throat was dry and scratchy.

"Kate, can you hear me?" she whispered, trying to keep her voice calm.

There was no answer. Sophia strained to see through the darkness and saw that Kate's face was pale, her eyes closed. Panic welled up inside her as she realized that something was wrong.

"Kate!" she shouted, pulling at the restraints that held her in place. "Wake up!"

Kate groaned, her eyes fluttering open. "Sophia?" she mumbled weakly.

Sophia let out a sigh of relief. "Yeah, it's me. Are you okay?"

Kate shook her head. "No, I feel terrible. There's something attached to me," she said, gesturing weakly to the device on her chest.

Sophia examined it closely. It looked like some kind of strange electronic device, with wires leading to electrodes attached to Kate's skin. She had no idea what it was or what it did, but it didn't look good.

"We have to get out of here," Sophia said urgently, tugging at her restraints again.

"It's no use," Kate said, her voice barely above a whisper. "I've tried. We're trapped."

Sophia sank back onto the bed, her mind racing. How had they ended up here? And what did the scientist want with them?

She heard a door open somewhere nearby and tensed up. Footsteps echoed through the darkness and then the sound of a voice.

"Good evening, ladies," said the scientist, his voice cold and menacing.

Sophia strained to see him, but he stayed hidden in the shadows. She could hear the rustle of his lab coat as he approached.

"You've both been very troublesome," he said, his voice dripping with disdain. "But I have a solution for that."

He reached out and pressed a button on the device attached to Kate's chest. Instantly, Kate's eyes rolled back in her head and she slumped back onto the bed, unconscious.

Sophia screamed, pulling at her restraints with all her strength. But it was no use. The scientist simply turned and left the room, leaving Sophia alone with her fear and confusion.