Chapter 15

-Seattle-Night One Year Ago At Pike Place Market-

The rain came down in sheets, slapping the cobblestone. Bright Lights from the surrounding bars reflected off the wet stones. The dull thud of rock music wafted out.

A barred door opened and the music briefly blasted out as a young man exited.

He is Riley Biers, 22, genial, handsome, and a university student full of promise. He paused under the awning, preparing to face the rain.

He slung a messenger bag over his shoulder, laden with thick school texts. He waved to his friends in the wind before heading into the downpour.

"Some say the world will end in fire. Some say in ice," Alya read.

Dark, deserted. Riley made his way up to it. Suddenly, a shadow flew past him, moving at an inhuman speed. Riley paused. What was it?

Unnerved, he sped his step, about to round a corner, but suddenly, something leaped over him, knocking him back to the ground.

It moved so fast that it was only a brief shadow. Riley now panics.

"Who's there?" He called out. No response. Riley bolted in a different direction. Riley ran, beelining towards the end of the street at which stood an apartment building with a brightly lit lobby and a security guard.

Safety.

-Waterfront, Night-

He found himself on the deserted boardwalk. Beyond the trail, black water. A dead end. He turned, realizing he was utterly alone. He searched the darkness for whatever was charging him.

"Who's there? What do you want?" He called out.

The shadow darted past him, after which he yanked his hand back. "OH, GOD!" He screamed in pain. He gripped his hand in pain and looks at it to find a crescent pain on his palm, blood seeping out.

He's been hit! His confusion and terror turned to agony as the venom from the bite crawled up his arm.

Riley dropped to his knees crying out in pain. Then he fell, writhing as the venom spreads throughout his body, changing him, killing his humanity. His tortured screams went unheard as the crescent moon on his hand changed into the crescent moon.

"From what I've tasted of desire, I hold with those who favor fire. But if I had to perish twice.....," Alya read.

-Alya's Pov-