3 Crossed wands and willowags

Della

The first day went quickly; defence against the dark arts class (which everyone coined DADA) and charms where I met a new friend, Natsai from gryffindor. There was so much to learn, the field guide Professor Weasley had given me on my first day was proving extremely useful. It contained a map of the castle, and it magically updated my extra assignments or new knowledge as I learnt.

The end of the week had already arrived. I'd had my first class of most of my subjects, and was faring well. I'd forced myself to not think of Sebastian. To ignore him and his smile every time I saw him in class. Following Poppy's words of him being some sort of serial charmer had proven to me he wasn't worth it. Not when I had so much on my plate already. Including that unsanctioned duelling club he mentioned. I thought it would be worth a try, for good practice for whatever it was Professor Fig and I stumbled into. I made my way to the clock tower - getting lost a few times - and called out tentatively; "Lucan Brattleby?" A younger gryffindor perked up and waved me over.

"Ahh, Della James is it? The new fifth year? And what might you need me for?" He stood by a suit of armour in the corner, buzzing with energy.

"Yes, I heard of a secret duelling club...? Sebastian mentioned it." Lucan looked baffled. I picked at my nails, suddenly nervous I may have been scammed.

"An invitation from Sebastian! You must have really impressed him, he's our reigning champ. He doesn't just invite anyone." Well I was not expecting that, nor the annoying feeling of pride that swelled up in my chest. I didn't need his approval. I needed to get over myself. "Well I did beat him in class."

"He would've loved that! He's dying for some good competition, other than our current runners up. As today will be your first duel-"

"Wait, right now?" I suddenly felt guilty i hadn't let Sebastian know. I shook the feeling away. I let this guy occupy too much space in my mind.

"Yea, of course! As i was saying, as today will be your first duel in the club, I'll pair you with him so you get used to everything. Onwards you can choose a partner or duel solo if you like. " It took a moment for me to process his words. "Hold it. Sebastian's here?"

"Indeed I am."

I turned swiftly to find the slytherin leaning against the wall near the door, arms crossed. I lost my ability to speak. How could I explain I hadn't known I was going to duel today? Luckily he spoke again, before I needed to defend myself. "I'm disappointed, I hoped to be invited to your first duel." He raised his eyebrow and started to walk towards me, waving his hand dramatically in the air. "What is this feeling? Betrayal? Thought you could sneak a few practices before taking me on? Want to impress me so desperately?" I came to a conclusion. Just because I refused to fall for the guy, didn't mean I couldn't play along.

"Desperate? As if. I came here for information. I would've let you known before duelling, but it seems you were already stalking me. I don't think I'm the desperate one here." I raised my own eyebrows and mirrored his stance. He chuckled, pushing his tongue to the side of his jaw tensing it. "Hmm. I have a feeling you don't like to lose."

"Never."

"Good. I like that."

As he spoke he had come closer to me. I stood my ground. No more nerves around him, he was nothing but a friend. An attractive friend. That's all. Who was staring quite intensely into my eyes. I cut the tension before I lost my cool. "Shall we begin then?"

"Of course."

And the duel was on. After a short time of back and forth, Sebastian and I won. He smiled widely at me, and I smiled softly back, before Lucan ran up interrupting us. "Wow, you're crazy good. Keep up like that and you could well be our new champion."