15 I should've gone

Sebastian

I'd woken up the next morning, trying not to think of our little adventure last night, nor my punishment alongside it. I went to breakfast, and to herbology, solely focused on getting through the day without getting into any more trouble.

Everyone had made there way to their desks, and Professor Garlick was giving out instructions. Della was opposite me. Already I was failing - I couldn't stop thinking about last night. I tilted my head whilst looking at her, I couldn't be bothered trying to be subtle. I'd told her about Anne, and she'd offered support. We'd even smiled at each other. The whole situation was all over the place with her. I was supposed to be ignoring her, not only for my pride, but also for Anne's sake - and yet I just could not go a single day without her infiltrating my thoughts. I thought I saw her glance at me, but it was so quick I might've imagined it.

We took to the mandrakes, and I lifted mine and potted it, when the worst scream I'd heard from one erupted from Della's table. I covered my ears until the screaming stopped, when I noticed Della had bent over double, and without thinking I started to make my way towards her. I hesitated when I heard Ominis yell in pain. I saw Professor Garlick going to Della, so made the decision to help Ominis. A venomous tentacula had ripped through his arm sleeve. I asked if he was okay, and he nodded. Professor Garlick asked if anyone would help Della to the hospital wing, when he volunteered. I was a little surprised. "I need to go myself anyway." I suppose that made sense. My gaze pinpointed on his arm around her as he guided her out. Why did I even care? I snuffed the feeling away and went back to focusing on class.

I was rather good at herbology. Since Tim had started teaching me, it had gone from one of my worst subjects, to one of my best. I knew of a range of magical and muggle plants, and produced top grades, and found it easy to handle different types. Professor Garlick said the plants 'liked me' and felt more at ease with me than most of the students she'd ever had. I didn't understand, but felt good about it all the same. I went over to Della's desk to tend to her mandrake, making sure it was potted in properly and wouldn't go bonkers again - In her condition she'd very hastily slammed it in there and thrown soil over it haphazardly. Understandable of course, its scream was menacing.

I was patting it down, when I heard Ominis and Della's voices. They were getting along quite well actually. I looked at her, Ominis didn't get on with many, and certainly wasn't so friendly to just anyone. He made his way back to his pot after Professor Garlick had checked on them, and Della turned and saw me at her desk. After a slightly awkward encounter, she pulled me to a quiet corner. My mind was running wild with whatever the hell she was going to say, when she thanked me for not ratting her out. With her so obviously genuine, I felt my gaze soften, and I couldn't bring myself to tell her the punishment I'd received in doing so. She looked so relieved at my lie, I was almost glad to have done it. But then, she asked me to lower Hogsfield.

I wanted to go with her, I thought this was the opportunity for us to make amends - but I couldn't, more rule breaking and I could be suspended, I could be expelled. "I cant Della. I uh, am busy." She played it off casually, but I could sense slight disappointment. I'm not going to lie, I was a little glad she was disappointed, and I felt something swell in my chest. Though, I was disappointed too. I went back to my desk.

"She's just asked me to Hogsfield."

"And?" Ominis replied.

"Well I can't, can I?"

"Do you want to?"

I sighed and looked at our collection of muggle plants across the room - one in particular; Lily of the Valley.

"Yes."

Ominis said nothing more but continued with his work.

-------