6 Shopping with trolls

Sebastian

First, she said she needed spellcrafts, of which we would find at Tomes and Scrolls. A quaint little shop, right near the entrance of Hogsmeade, owned by Mr Thomas Brown. I'd dealt a lot with Mr Brown, as conjuring was one of my favourite types of magic. We entered the shop, and he smiled when he saw us.

"Ah, Mr Sallow, good to see you again. How is that experiment going?" He referred to a certain conjuring magic I'd read about and wanted to replicate for myself. "Truth be told it's not going exactly as planned, but I'm sure it'll come through eventually." He smiled, nodding. "I'm sure it will, your skill for conjuring is not something to doubt."
I smiled back at him, and gestured to Della. "This is my friend Della, a new student who is in need of some spellcrafts, if you please."

Della moved forward and greeted the shopkeeper, and proceeded to list what she needed. He sorted everything for her. I thought I'd try something.
"Mr Brown, as it's Della's very first time in Hogsmeade and she's having such a wonderful time, what would you say to a discount?" I grinned. Lucky for me he agreed. "Of course! anything for a friend of Mr Sallow, I do hope your visit has been and will continue to be as magical as promised." He smiled at her, and she smiled back, thanking him profusely. We made our way out, and she poked me with her finger.

"I can't believe you asked that!"

"Why not? Seems having me around is pretty useful hmm?"

She looked at the ground, bashful, and thanked me softly. My heart felt way to big for my chest. She spoke again.

"I'd like to get my wand after everything else, you know - save the best for last." She said this with a gleeful look in her eyes, no doubt terribly excited for her very own wand. I understood. Going for my wand in first year as a 11 yr old was thrilling, the feeling when you found the right one and it 'bonds' with you, I was excited for her to experience it.

"Well in that case, J. Pippins potions will be next, here, this way." I lead her forward, and she made for conversation.

"So when you say you got in trouble with Madam Scribner again, you mean...?" She hinted at me playfully. I sighed, "Let's just say I'm in her bad books, totally underserved of course."

"Mhm, riiiight." She raised her eyebrows sceptically.

"Oh absolutely! I suspect it's just a matter of differing opinions. She thinks I shouldn't be allowed in the restricted section, or to test magic I read from the books in the library, or that 2 days overdue means seriously late! I mean come on, it's only a very little late." She smiled at me, amused. My chest swelled even more - couldn't tell you how it was possible - that she found me funny, or entertaining. I started to feel as though the only thing I wanted in the world was to make her laugh. I shook it away, I couldn't get distracted by it, other things in my life were far too important. We had arrived and she purchased her potion items, and we headed over the bridge to the Magic Neep.

"Have you explored much of the castle? Having only been here a week of course." I asked her, wanting to keep hearing her voice.

"Barely, it's enormous."

"You're right there, I've been here for years and barely scratched the surface. There's loads to see, and plenty of secrets to discover." I winked at her, and she leaned in closer. "Oh? Want to share with the class?" I shrugged and brushed her away, "Maybe another time, can't go spilling all my secrets in a day can I?"

"I'll find out, Mr Sallow. Just you wait." She bumped me with her shoulder, and as we'd arrived went to purchase her Herbology things. I stared after her, watching her interact with Timothy Teasdale. After they'd finished, he waved to me, and I returned the gesture. He'd taught me how to handle many different plants when I'd struggled with herbology a few years back. Our first interaction he'd found me crying by the wall of the bridge when I was 9 after an argument with my uncle  in the square. My uncle had threatened to leave me behind if I didn't stop my nonsense. I ran, and he left. Since then, Tim had helped me out whenever I needed, and I was grateful for it. Della made her way back to me and punched me in the arm.