12 Restricted rendezvous

Della

Saturday morning I went back to Professor Fig, having learnt incendio. He told me we should head to the library right away, when Headmaster Black walked in, interrupting us.

"Fig. I need you, now."

"But sir, Ms. James and I were just about to - "

"Frankly I don't care. With the trouble you caused me with Osric, I'd have thought you'd want to make amends." He didn't wait for an answer, but just stormed out as importantly as he'd stormed in.

"My apologies, Ms. James, it seems our trip will have to wait. I don't know how long I'll be, so it could be awhile before I'm free again."

I nodded, and he left. I thought about Ranrok, Rookwood and the troll, and everything that happened on the way to school. This trip couldn't wait for Professor Fig to get back. We needed the answers now. And though I hated to admit it, I knew of someone who could get me into the restricted section.

————

I found Sebastian in the DADA tower, by the painting of the burning witch. He had his back to me and was talking to his friend, who I met in one of our classes, but didn't know very well. I steeled myself and walked right up to him. "Sebastian."

He sprung sideways, realised who I was, and his face contorted into annoyance. "And you are talking to me because...?"

I huffed, and ignored his statement. "Hi Ominis, do you mind if I could speak to Sebastian alone?" He didn't say anything, nor move, but tilted his head towards Sebastian. "It's okay Ominis." He nodded and spoke. "No problem." He walked off, and I turned back to Sebastian.

"As much as I really don't want to, I kind of need your help."

"My help? And what delusive potion in Sharps extensive collection made you think I'd give you help?"

"I know you don't want to, I wouldn't either, but it's important, and you are - unfortunately" I muttered under my breath -" the only person for the job." I picked at my nails. "It's about Rookwood and all that shit." He perked up at that. "Rookwood? You never did tell me about that, even after you promised too." I looked sheepishly at the ground. "Well, you know, things went sideways and I never got the opportunity."

He scoffed. "Yea, thanks to you."

I breathed sharply through my nose, this was going nowhere. "Okay enough about it."

"No, I want an apology."

"What?"

"An apology. Go on."

I reconsidered this whole ordeal. Did I really need him? Ranrok and the dragon came up in my mind. I did need him. "Fine. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have ignored you. I shouldn't have been cold, I shouldn't have ruined our friendship."

He stared at me for a moment before nodding. "I'm still annoyed by your presence, but it's a start. Now tell me about what the hell is going on with you."

I recounted my journey to hogwarts - vaguely of course. I'd promised Professor Fig to not tell anyone about our experience, but I needed Sebastian on my side. "On the way to Hogwarts, we had a portkey, and it led us to gringotts, and there was this chamber, and we fought Ranrok - who had controlled the dragon that attacked us - but there was a pensive and we found a map and the map is leading to the restricted section in the library. I need you to get me in and out, without being caught." I said nearly all of this in one breath. Sebastian looked stunned for a moment, clearly taking it all in. Then he looked almost concerned. "You mean a dragon really did attack you, and Ranrok is working with Rookwood to get you?"