14 Herbology and ashwinders

Della

I got up, skipped breakfast, and went straight to Professor Fig with what id found under the restricted section. We talked over the memories, and how the book had a few missing pages - someone had gotten to it before us. Professor Fig told me he'd be taking it to the ministry, and for now I should continue with my studies. I nodded and left, going over it all in my head. Poppy found me walking towards the great hall, and handed me some toast shed gathered from it. "You missed breakfast. But i got these for you, also you got some post!" She handed me the letter; It was from Natty, to meet me in Lower Hogsfield. She apparently had some news.

"Are you okay Della? You seem distracted of late." Poppy placed her hand gently on my arm and I nodded. "Dont worry about me, Poppy, I'm okay. Just got some things I need to take care of." She smiled gently, and offered to help wherever she could, whenever I needed. I appreciated it. But I didn't want Poppy in trouble. Ever. If anyone deserved only good things, it was her.

I munched on the toast as I head to my first class of the day - Herbology. We walked together down the steps and into Greenhouse 2, where some of the other students were already milling about. "Where's Lenora?"

"Oh she's not feeling so good, went from breakfast to the hospital wing. Her face started sprouting feathers! Don't know what it could be, she was fine last night." She shrugged. I didn't reply. I saw Sebastian and thought of last night, and how he'd taken the fall for me. I thought about our friendly conversation and how he'd told me about Anne. The conflicting thoughts of wanting to avoid him so he didn't put himself in danger, and wanting to rekindle our friendship fought each other in my mind, and I struggled to listen to what Poppy was now saying. "...is so good for the kneazles diet you know, I'm so happy Professor Garlick lets me take them as I please."

"Huh? Oh yea, that is really good of her." I made my way to my pot - which was opposite Sebastian's, and tried not to look at him. Professor Garlick called to the class and went through our classes focus - repotting mandrakes. I focused on her and the instructions, when against my own will, I glanced at him. He was looking in my direction, leaning on one leg, hands together, with his head tilted. He looked deep in thought. I wondered what the hell he was staring at. I glanced away as quickly as i'd looked and tried to convey perfect concentration on herbology.

We got through the lesson without too much stress - other than my mandrake being a bit mature and screaming way louder than the others. It felt like I'd gone completely deaf. Desperately potting it as quick as I could, I held my ears as they were searing in pain. I had bent over and was facing the ground. I saw Professor Garlicks robes coming quickly towards me, then felt her hand on my back. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the lining of green robes on my other side. This new person took my by the shoulders and led me out of the Greenhouse, and walked me in the direction of the hospital wing. When the throbbing had subsided and I could open my eyes properly, I took in the surroundings. We were at the top of steps by the viaduct entrance, and I turned to look at the person aiding me.

Ominis. "You alright? That was a heck of a mandrake scream." I nodded, then almost slapped myself. He can't see you, dummy. "Yes, Ominis, I'm okay, it's just my ears - "

"Yes, no worries, we're almost at the Hospital wing." We'd taken the direction towards the entrance hall and were now in the grand staircase, walking up the endless stairs, to the faculty tower. "If you don't mind me asking, why are you taking me?"

"I suppose it's what a good classmate is supposed to do. But also I need to go there myself." He gave me a small smile. "After your mandrake went berserk, i stepped back, unknowingly into a venomous tentacula mouth." He lifted his arm. His robes were ripped, and there were a few streaks of blood. "Ah. Just our luck huh?" He chuckled softly. "Yes. Some luck." We entered the hospital wing, and the matron took us to a bed, where she checked us and gave us each a related potion. I saw Lenora sleeping on one of the beds on the far side of the room, and decided to check in on her later. A quick sip, and I was already feeling much better. Ominis' arm stopped bleeding, and he waited patiently while the matron wrapped his arm with cloth. She dismissed us, and we started back the way we'd come. "Back to class?" Ominis asked.