7 Three Broomsticks

Sebastian

I started to lead her towards the three broomsticks, talking about the barkeeper, Sirona, when we heard some whispers down the steps of a small alleyway. Rookwood? A goblin? I heard a part of their conversation;

"You said you could get the child at hogsmeade, with a distraction. I gave you a distraction." The goblin seemed annoyed.

"I just saw a student take down that distraction. Who is this child? Why is she so important?" Rookwood.

"None of your business. If you cannot get to the child, you are of no value to me."

I looked on in confusion, were they talking about Della? The troll did seem very interested in her... Before i could think any more on it, they perked up, and Della and I hastily sped away, hoping they hadn't seen us. Della was muttering to herself; "Ranrok is working with Rookwood?"

"You mean the goblin in the daily prophet?" She nodded. I stared at her, there was something going on with her, something dangerous. I felt something brimming inside me, it was ... protectiveness? I grabbed her arm, and pulled her forward. "Quick let's get inside the three broomsticks." We had sat down and Sirona had introduced herself and provided a nice, hot butterbeer. I started to think maybe things were cooling down when the door slammed open and Rookwood walked in as a goblin walked out. Rookwood gestured to the back of the goblin. "Was that Lodgok? You're clientele is not what it used to be, Sirona."

"Don't worry, once you leave, the calibre of my clientele will greatly improve."

Rookwood scoffed. "I'm only here for this one anyway, so step aside." He pointed at Della.

At his words, the protectiveness exploded. I jumped up in front of Della, placing myself in between him and her, almost willing for a fight. Rookwood needed to know he couldn't just take her. I wouldn't let him. I felt the urge to tell the whole world that Della would never be hurt whilst I was around. I glared him down, while many of the other customers stood and showed solidarity against Rookwood. He knew he'd lost, as he raised his hands in surrender and started backing out of the store. "It's fine, the girl can't drink butterbeer forever. And eventually, I will get her." Anger surged through me. He would never get her. I almost wanted to never leave her side from now on just to make sure of it. The door shut behind him. I realised I was breathing rather heavily, and tried to calm myself down.

I felt a soft touch on my arm, and turned to see Della looking at me, her hand guiding my body closer to hers. Her eyes conveyed appreciation and maybe something else? Probably tiredness. This last hour had been quite draining. Sirona made sure we were okay, when I asked her what had been on my mind. "Della, what is going on? Ranrok, a troll and Rookwood are all after you? What aren't you telling me?" My voice was pleading, but I didn't care. I didn't want her in danger.

"I'll tell you, I promise, but not here, later."

I nodded and glanced outside. "On that note, we should probably head back up to the castle, it's getting late."

I lead her out, my hand lightly guiding her lower back, and we got to the floo station. "Today was nice, even with the troll, and everything else." I couldn't help but smile at her optimism. "Yea, it was. We should do this again." We paused for a moment, and saw a faint blush on her cheeks. Did she think I was asking her out? Shit, don't be weird Sebastian. "Uh, I mean, you know, a trip without trolls and near death and - you know."

She chuckled. "Yea I know."

I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to have to go the entire night without seeing her. So much for being cool. I think I failed at not becoming obsessed. But it's okay, I can reverse it, no problem. I charmed everyone, harmlessly - Della was not an issue. You can't have any distractions, not even her. I gestured for her to go first, and after saying 'Hufflepuff common room,' she vanished in green fire. I stepped in, and with a quick word, vanished too.

————

I stepped out into the Slytherin common room, and moved around , looking for Ominis. I found him in a chair by the lake glass, the light reflecting from the water illuminating his features. "Ominis, I'm back." He moved his head towards my voice and I sat next to him on the second lounge chair, staring into the depths of the lake. A few fish swam by. "How was your trip?"

"It was interesting. Started off great, I think Della and I are becoming good friends. Then a troll attacked and Rookwood was there, and something's up with Della, but she won't tell me yet, and now here I am, babbling to you."

"Sounds eventful." Huh, he could say that again. I went over it all again and again in my mind. Seeing her walk down the steps, our flirtatious conversation, her awe and wonder and glee, and my feelings when she was threatened. "Ominis, you promised to help me with my sister." He nodded. "Well, I'd like your help in making sure I don't, uh, get distracted."

"Get distracted? Whatever from? What could possibly take your mind off something you've been researching for years, never once taking a break?" I thought about his question - he was right. Since Anne had been cursed, it was the only aspect of importance in my life, to cure her. I'd spent countless detentions from being caught in the restricted section trying to find something helpful. I'd avoided any feelings towards anyone because it just wasn't worth it putting effort into anything else but Anne's cure. I'd forgone parties, events, top grades, because it just didn't matter. But now, here was this person that I wanted to spend time with. A girl that drew out incomprehensible feelings whenever I was with her, or near her, or saw her. I wanted to be around her far too much. I cared about her, but thinking of Anne, I made a decision; Della would be my friend, and I would push down these feelings. Ominis was right, for years my energy was towards Anne, and that's where it needed to continue to be.

"I, I need you to keep me accountable. Keep on track for Anne. Today, with Della, I felt - I don't know, I just can't get distracted." Something I forever grateful for, was Omini's ability to infer and understand. He knew what I meant, when I couldn't even get the words out.

"Don't worry, Sebastian. I understand." I leant back in the chair, once more staring into the water. We sat in comfortable silence for a little while, when Ominis spoke up. "So about this Della, shall we call it operation love destroyer?" I tossed a cushion at him, feeling a bit better with his banter. "Oh shut up, it's hardly love, you hopeless romantic." He laughed, "Don't worry, I'll help you get over it in no time."