11 Duel of the friends to enemies

Sebastian

After our spat in the potions storeroom, I made my way back to the Slytherin common room in a huff. What was she annoyed for? This whole issue was her fault, it was ridiculous. Ominis found me staring at the fish once more.

"What's up with you, grumpy?"

"Her."

"Ah." He sat down opposite me and crossed his arms. "Well?"

I sighed. "Well, I bumped into her in potions, and she said she ignored me to protect me from danger, cause I was reckless in protecting her. What an utterly nonsensical strategy."

"Reckless? That's very Gryffindor of you, maybe she did the right thing. I'm inclined to agree, I don't want you hurt." I glared at him. Unfortunately, glaring didn't quite work on Ominis, so I spoke again. "She could've been nicer! And because I was annoyed with her I may have been a little petty, now she's annoyed with me and I don't think we'll ever like each other again." I huffed and crossed my arms. "Not that I'm bothered." I quickly added.

Ominis barked a laugh. "Not bothered? You're practically fuming. Besides, look at it from her point of view. She needed something to be done - getting you away from whatever danger she's involved with. She took the quickest and most effective route there - it's rather Slytherin of her, to be honest. A little admirable for the usual 'caring about everyone's feelings' Hufflepuff type, don't you think?"

I paused. He had a point. But I told Ominis what I'd told her. "It was still confusing and hurtful. I can't just forgive her."

"So don't. Ignore her back, be mean, be rude, I don't care. Either way, the distraction problem is gone. You no longer have feelings for her, and Anne can continue to be your priority."

Again, he had a point. He was too wise, it was annoying. He could've been a Ravenclaw. I continued to stare at the depths of the lake, and when the time came, went to bed.

————

The next week, an owl arrived from Lucan, saying crossed wands was to be on Friday. I was excited for it, hadn't duelled in a while. Inevitably, my thoughts turned to Della, I spied her at the Hufflepuff table, reading what was probably the same letter. I thought about my eagerness to be her partner for the club. How times had so radically changed. Friday arrived and I went down to the clock tower. I arrived halfway though Della and Poppy's duel. Della was just as good as I remembered. It made me angry. She won, and spoke with Lucan. I don't know where the feeling came from but I wanted to fight her, maybe duelling could be a good way of getting my emotions out. Lucan came over to me.

"I'll duel next, if she's wanting another round."

"Perfect!" He was always so enthusiastic. Made me smile. I looked over to her, and she was speaking with Poppy. My smile faded. I took my place opposite and waited for her to be ready. Lucan addressed those who were watching. "Since these are our current best duellists, we should do this professionally! Sebastian, Della, meet in the middle, wands up please"

I looked at him, taken off guard. I'd have to get close to her? Ugh fine. I looked at her, she seemed to think the same. We made our way towards each other, in the middle of the tower, wands up in front of our faces.

"Sebastian."

"Della."

She was glaring at me, and I returned the heat. This was not going to be a friendly duel. Lucan shouted; "Begin!" And we started.

She cast first, the levitating spell, but I blocked it. She cast the summoning charm, I blocked it again. Her eyebrows furrowed. Good. I was definitely not going to make this easy for her. I cast back with spells and charms, but she defended as well as I did.

"That all you got?" 

So now she was taunting me? Two can play at that game.

"You wish."

I blasted hexes and charms at her, at a rate she didn't have time to get one back at me. She resorted to defence as I kept the attack coming. As I watched her defend, flashbacks of her defending herself against the troll skipped through my mind. Following that, other Hogsmeade memories infiltrated it too. I felt angrier and more frustrated that our friendship had failed. Then I thought of how I had made her laugh. And how I'd been so dumbfounded by her and her wittiness and her beauty. Finally I remembered how protective I felt, and my attacks faltered, I should be alongside her, protecting her from Rookwood. This thought had made me pause, and she took the opportunity - I was now defending. Her attacks were forceful, and well- timed. She made use of the millisecond my shield went down, and hit me with a spell. It got me in the chest, and I went backwards. She took advantage of this weakness and bombarded me. She'd won.

I stood and looked at her. She didn't seem very happy with her victory, as if she also didn't want to duel against me. Maybe she also feels we should've been side by side. It didn't matter. I didn't think of it any longer. Lucan announced her win, and per the clubs guidelines, she walked towards me to shake hands.

She outstretched her arm. I hesitated. She huffed. "You're so mad with me sportsmanship goes out the window now?"

Jeez, I'd only hesitated for a measly second. I took her arm more forcefully than I'd intended. "No, maybe I just don't want to be near you."

Her eyes hardened, and her eyebrows furrowed. She looked me in the eye with intensity, and I mirrored it. "If you don't want to be near me, then leave."

"I was just about to." I let go of her, and walked away, not looking back.

I made my way to the library hoping to find a good book to provide a decent distraction, and found Ominis there too. "What're you doing here?"

"Finding a book on palm reading. I'll need Scribner to magic it into braille though. I really should get Professor Weasley to teach me that spell. What are you doing?"

"Trying to clear my mind."

I read all manners of titles and nothing seemed good enough.

"You can't go your whole life angry at her, you know."

"Actually I can."

Ominis sighed, but went back to finding his book. I couldn't get her face out of my mind. I couldn't get how I'd faltered in the duel, because my own mind had distracted me with our Hogsmeade trip. I saw a book title. Trolls: Types, Strengths and Weaknesses. How to hold your own if you ever become that unlucky.

I held it in my hand, staring at the cover. Even mad, and frustrated and disappointed with her, I didn't want her hurt - apparently the protectiveness still lingered. With Rookwood presumably still hunting her, she was probably going to come across more trolls. And even though I planned to not be with her anytime soon, I found myself opening up the book anyway.