10 Crossed wands for fire

Della

Practically storming back to the Hufflepuff common room, I went over what had just happened between the two of us. Part of me understood his anger, I had halted our friendship without an explanation. I had ignored him completely for weeks. If we had been in each others positions, I would be reacting exactly the same. But his attitude towards me in the storeroom was unnecessary, and I felt incredibly frustrated. He didn't have to be so mean, he could've just ignored me. I did my best to ignore how close he'd come, and the way his breath had fanned my face, and how I may have secretly wanted him to close the gap. Ugh. I was so mad.

I found Lenora exiting the kitchens as I stomped past. She looked at me wide-eyed, but said nothing as I entered the common room, sat on bed and threw the pillow against the wall. She walked in behind me not making a sound, and offered me a cupcake. "It's got sprinkles." She said, trying to convince me. I glanced at it with furrowed eyebrows, but took it - I loved cupcakes and adored sprinkles, i didn't really need convincing.

She sat at the edge of my bed, and said nothing, obviously waiting for me to speak first. I sighed and gave in. "Sebastian. We ran into each other in potions. He's angry with me."

"I suppose it makes sense, we didn't treat him very well." I looked at her incredulous. "It was your idea Len!!"

"I know, I'm not saying we should've done it differently, but I can understand it. But listen, the whole idea was for you to get over him right? And that's happened - so success. Also now he's never gonna get in danger with you because you don't speak to each other." I tilted my head back and stared at the ceiling. For all my guilt about how we treated him, Lenora was right. I didn't have to worry about him getting hurt - and that was the goal. I did crush any positive feelings we had towards each other though. I suppose I could keep up the 'disliking him' from now on. His feelings of anger towards me were real, and I could play into that for his safety. I was disappointed, but if that was going to keep him safe, I would do it.

Lenora stood, and left me a second cupcake on my bedside table. I stared at it, and wasted the rest of the day in bed.

————

The next morning at breakfast, I received an owl. The letter was from Professor Fig asking me to see him when I could. I didn't have class that morning so I thought to just go straight away. I found him in his office looking over a large map.

"Professor, you wanted to see me?"

"Ah yes? How are you? I looked into the item we found over the pensive and it procured this map of Hogwarts." I looked over it, there was a faint blue glow around the restricted section of the library. "The library, we should go there and see what shows up."

"Yes I agree, however I would like you to learn more defensive magic before we go, never know what we will run into."

I thought a book is probably most likely, but didn't say anything. He continued. "Please go see Professor Hecat. She'll be able to give you some lessons."

I nodded and left heading towards the DADA classroom. I found her near the front of the class. "Good morning Professor, I've been told to come here for some extra defensive magic."

"Ah yes, you will be learning incendio. A short range fire spell, very useful against enemies who have come too close - but also dangerous. I'd like you to complete a couple of assignments before we get started, so I know you're ready." She handed me a piece of paper.

Speak with Lucan Brattleby for some combo practice.

Win 2 rounds of Crossed Wands.

Huh. Not so secret after all. I nodded and left wondering how on earth I would find Lucan. I sighed, this might take a while. I thought of the clock tower, but he couldn't always be there. Classes existed. I thought I could go in that direction and ask other students along the way if they had any idea of his whereabouts. I went up a level of the DADA tower and made my way across the Herodiana bridge. A few students were chatting. "Hi, would you guys know where Lucan Brattleby is?"

"The little Gryffindor obsessed with duelling?"
I nodded enthusiastically. "No idea, sorry."

I carried on, asking others. No luck. I had made it to the clock tower, but he was nowhere to be seen. Maybe from here I'll go to the Gryffindor common room. I made my way in that direction. I came across a group of 3rd year Gryffindors chatting on a bench. They might know where he is. "Hi have any of you seen Lucan Brattleby? I need to speak with him." One of the girls piped up. "Yea! He's in the common room, I can grab him for you."

I said my thanks and waited. Soon enough, the portrait opened and Lucan ran out. "Hi Della, what do you need?"

"I need a practise dummy, and your information on combos, plus another round of crossed wands."

He nodded enthusiastically. "I can give you one of those right now, and see if I can organise crossed wands for this week." I thanked him and he led me towards an old classroom, no longer used, with a few practice dummies inside. "So, you're going to levitate and basic cast against the dummy before it lands on the ground, casting accio will also keep it in the air longer. Try some different combinations."

I did. I took a few tries, but I managed to cast a decent amount of damage to the dummy. After I was done, it grunted. "Haven't been put out like that in a while." I looked to Lucan surprised. "I didn't know they could talk." I muttered to him out of the corner of my mouth. "Oh yea, they always complain after I practise in here. Secretly I think they like feeling needed though." I raised my eyebrows. We went back to his common room. "I'll let you know about crossed wands by the end of the week, by owl." I thanked him and left. I hoped I would get his letter soon. The quicker I did these assignments, the quicker I could learn the spell, and Professor Fig and I could investigate the library.

————

Three days later, Lucan sent word. Crossed wands was to be Friday evening at the clock tower. Good. Some progress. I went there after my divination class, and found Lucan. "Right so, we'll be starting soon, you want a partner or solo?"

His words brought back a memory of Sebastian. Anytime you need a partner in the future, don't hesitate to call on me. I felt angry at myself for feeling nostalgic. I just needed to get this done. "Solo today, Lucan."

"Alright, we can started then. Poppy!"

Poppy?

I turned swiftly to see Poppy standing against the opposite wall, now walking towards me, when she heard Lucan call her. She did a double take when she saw me.

"Della!? What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for crossed wands, what are you doing?"

"Me too!"

Lucan looked at me puzzled. "Poppy here is our runners up, did you not know that?" My jaw dropped.

"No! You never told me!"

"It was a secret! I couldn't tell you!"

We stared at each for a few seconds, then burst out laughing. I would never have guessed Poppy was one of my main competitors in duelling, she always went on about caring for the beasts. After calming down ( which took a little while) we separated and got into position. Lucan called "Begin!" and before I could think, Poppy had levitated me off the ground and casting spells at me. I cast Protego, and dropped to the floor. She was quick. I would need to be smart about this. Using a few of the combos Lucan had taught me, I managed to get the upper hand, and eventually, she collapsed to her knees, in defeat. I ran over to her, and helped her up. "Nice duelling Della, you had my defences up for the majority of that duel." I smiled and reminded her she hadn't made that victory easy. Now just one more round. I asked Lucan who else was up for a duel. His answer made my stomach drop.

"Sebastian! He's been keen for a another round for a while now! He's just over there, I'll get him."

He made his way over, and I looked at Poppy. She gave me a concerned look, but said; "You'll be alright, I've never been able to beat him, but you have once!"

"Thanks Poppy, but that's not exactly why I'm nervous."

"Oh yea right, I suppose think of it this way. He's just another student who is testing your abilities. Nothing more."

I nodded and tensed my jaw. I would not be intimidated by him. And I was going to win this duel.