Chapter 5 - Love in theory and practice

I twist and turn
In your arms swirl
The dizzier I get, the clearer I see
With you I'm at peace with the war within

Chishiya was in your room.

You had spent more time there since Niragi, one of the militants of The Beach, had taken an interest in you, claiming you were "so exotic" (what were you? A wild animal?) and that he "wanted a taste of you". You usually ignored him, but today you were not in the mood for putting up with any type of courting.

Unless it came from the blonde guy in front of you, that is.

Since you held hands by the swimming pool...

Nothing had changed.

You expected some kind of romantic revelation, love letters being written to you and delivered by doves to your window every morning. Him getting a guitar from somewhere and serenading you until you agreed to go out with him. A kiss. Hugs. Sleeping together. More hand-holding.

But everything was still the same. 

You were trying really, really hard to drop hints that you liked him. But then again, you didn't think you did. At least not seriously. You only wanted more of what happened. A brush of his fingers against yours... 

You looked at Chishiya while he worked on one of his experiments, sitting down on the floor with his back against the wall. You were on the bed, staring like a maniac, humming a love song you had had in your head ever since the badly-tempered wasps in your tummy had returned.

"Holding hands won't be enough, in a world giving head to a gun..." You sang, trying to seem distracted but doing it so very, very purposefully. He chuckled softly but did not look at you, and you were pretty close to grabbing yourself a pillow and throwing it to him when Kuina barged in.

"Are you guys playing any games today?" She asked, throwing herself on the armchair in your room. You liked that about her. She was not the kind of person to ask how you were before she asked if you could lend her the notes from all the classes you had taken together in the last semester. She would just get to the point.

"I have to. Otherwise I'm..." Getting lasered. Dead. Just the thought of it made you shiver. 

Chishiya looked at you, a frown so small and quick between his eyebrows you thought you must had imagined it. "Didn't know you were on your last day."

"I am. The fear of possible doom made me closer to an impending one." You smiled, but it didn't reach your eyes. It was all teeth. 

"Well, don't worry, you will manage! Deaths are becoming more and more rare nowad..." 

Kuina was interrupted by Chishiya, whose expression was unreadable. "Do you want me to go with you?"

Although him asking that did make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, you knew what you were going to say. And it differed so much from what you actually wanted. "No, don't worry. Like Kuina said, I'll be fine. It's a whole group of people. Also, even if you did come, nobody can ensure we would be placed in the same team." You kept that smile on your face.

Kuina stood up and sat next to you, putting an arm above your shoulders. "You'll be fine, you'll see!"

Chishiya was still looking at you. You didn't know what he was thinking, but you tried your best to change the subject.

"So, Kuina. If you could eat a pizza right now, what toppings would you choose?"

 If you could eat a pizza right now, what toppings would you choose?"