Chapter 24 - You, just like heaven

Show me how you do it
And I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you

You were not surprised by the fact that Ippei had chosen to kill himself.

Oh, but it still hurt.

Had he said the wrong suit purposefully? Had he just decided to not answer at all?

You were in front of the door leading to the cell he had entered, what, five minutes ago? He had looked distressed, but you hadn't thought about it twice, happy as you were about your cute, romantic moment with Chishiya. You were still in that blissful state until you had heard the explosion. And you just knew - it was him.

Was it your fault?

Could you have said something else? Maybe did something other than smile and wave at him like an idiot before you all had to lock each other and face death for the twelfth time that day?

There was no possibility of unlocking the door, but it had little openings from which you could see part of the room. And there he was, his body bloody, his limbs contorted, his head blown off.

You swallowed trying to get rid of the knot that seemed to have taken permanent residency on your throat, shook your head, blinked a few times and pressed your lips together to avoid the lower one from quivering. You sighed, not allowing yourself to feel any sadder.

You had to keep playing, it was the only way.

It was then you saw all the other players, the ones left alive from this massacre, looking at you. Including Chishiya.

The man you loved was serious, maybe even a tad worried. But the rest were eyeing you suspiciously, as if waiting for something.

And it dawned on you.

They thought you were the Jack, and had intentionally killed your partner.

Little by little, and seeing as this had turned into a meaningless staring contest in which there would be no winners, they started to dissipate. All but Chishiya.

"I told him the right suit." Was the first and only thing you said, your eyes on him.

Suddenly, you were shaking.

You felt his arms surrounding you before you received an answer.

"I know." Was what he said, his voice little more than a murmur.

"I am not the Jack." You added, just in case he might have had any doubts.

"Of course you are not." Still holding you by your arms, he moved back so that he could look at you with that intense stare of his. "He was too kind-hearted for this world. For this game."

You agreed.

You were not crying, but you felt as if you should have been. Maybe you had no tears left anymore. Maybe this had been the final straw and now all that was left was for you to descend into madness.

Chishiya took you by the hand to a room of the prison in which there was little more than a couple of chairs, getting you out of there and putting some distance between you and the Ippei's corpse.

He told you to sit.

And you did.

He bent his knees, so that his face was at the same height as yours and held your chin, making you look at him directly.

"Listen to me." He sounded calm and collected. You didn't know if it was because the events had really not disturbed him at all or because that is how he wanted to make you feel, but it was working.  "They will not harm you. There is no point, even if they thought you were the Jack. They won't win the game if they did."