Chapter 22 - My lucky day

Hace que no me conoce
Y me la imagino en mil poses al verla bailar

"I wonder how long this will last." A guy with bangs covering half his face said. You were all back in the central guardroom, most of you in complete silence except for a few people trying to make small talk.

"Either the Jack will start killing people or someone who's afraid they'll be killed will start killing others." His mate had said. He had made your skin crawl ever since he entered, and you had a strong suspicion that he was the Jack of Hearts. But that would be too easy. "Until one of those two things happens, this will never end."

"That's exactly right." Chishiya said, observing the pair.

Ippei smiled, confidently. "As long as we're all telling each other, we'll be fine!"

"I wouldn't be so sure."

"I am sure!" You intervened, matching your new friend's cheerful tone. "I think it will be alright, don't worry." You patted his back, and he looked at you, thankful. You gave Chishiya a dirty look, saw he was chuckling, and were about to say something else (that probably would have given away that you two actually knew each other) when you heard someone screaming.

"Hurry up and tell me, you idiot!" A dangerous-looking man had pushed a young boy wearing a striped shirt to the floor, and was screaming at him, demanding to know his suit.

The young, creepy guy that was your number one option for the Jack of Hearts stood up, and helped him stand up. Maybe he was not such a bad guy after all, and it was not his fault his demeanor was so... Suspicious. Until you noticed something. From where you were standing, it seemed, for a second, that his lips were moving.

He could still be saying something like "Hey! Don't worry, it will pass." but somehow you didn't think so. You looked at Chishiya discreetly, and he nodded in a way that could almost not be perceived. He had seen it too, then.

"Do you want to die, then?" The man, who would have fit perfectly with the militants at The Beach, lifted his fist, coming back to hit the poor guy some more. "Tell me NOW!"

"Club!" The young man said, eyes closed, pained expression. He was already waiting for the punch to land.

"Tell me sooner next time."

What was on the back of his collar was not a club, but a diamond.

Ippei opened his mouth to say something, but you grabbed his arm and moved your head from side to side. "Don't get involved."

The game was starting, this time for real.

"Why don't we grab something to snack on?" You suggested, trying to smile.

"ROUND 2 is over. It is time to make your guess."

"See you soon!" You said to Ippei. The poor guy had been pretty shaken after what happened at the guardroom.

But, in all honesty, you couldn't help everybody. And if you could only assist a limited number of people, a person who beat the shit out of others just because would likely not make the cut.

He could also be the Jack of Hearts, but you didn't deem it likely.

"The white knight of the games." A voice whispered behind you, Chishiya's hand suddenly on your hip. He moved your hair away from your neck, pretending to check your suit again, as if you had forgotten it.

"What? It's not like we can't help him. We actually can."

"What if he was the Jack of Hearts?" Chishiya asked, so close it was starting to make you nervous. You could feel the warmth of his breath on your ear.

"He is not." You declared, fully convinced.

The blonde man chuckled. "Diamond. See you in a bit."

You got into your cell, legs almost shaking and croaked your suit.

You heard a loud explosion, and for a second thought your brains had been blown out. But you were still alive.

It was from someone else.

You were not surprised to see that, on the main room's screen, the picture of the threatening bully was now gone.

He had died, just as you knew he would.

"He's probably the Jack." Urumi said, hands behind her, an adorable smile on her face, looking to the guy who was beaten. He was sitting on the floor, arms around his legs. He almost look as if he was cradling himself, like a baby. "He lied, and killed the guy. Let's kill him on this round."

"What?" Ippei was the first one to react. You honestly, were quite shocked as well. Either he was a fantastic actor, or there was no way he could be the Jack. You felt Chishiya's finger caress the side of your hand, just for one second. You looked at him, meeting his eyes.

"You cannot save them all." He seemed to be saying.

"Should we grab some snacks, again?" You asked, a feeble smile on your face.

Chishiya got closer to you when you were choosing what cookies you wanted to play with until the next round was over. Because your stomach was closed and honestly, the last thing you were thinking about was eating.

"Do you want any recommendations?" The blonde man asked, since you had been staring at the same part of the shelf for the last five minutes, or so. "These are the best." He pointed to a particular brand.

"Are they? I like those other ones." You drew his attention to some chocolate cookies whose package had Pikachu and Eevee on the cover. "My roommate and I buy them... bought them, all the time." You corrected yourself.

"Did you buy them just because you like Pokémon?"

"You know I did."

"I wouldn't know. I know nothing about you." He smiled. It's true, you had forgotten for a second you were playing your little game.

"Ah, yes. Sorry. Time passes differently here..." You pressed your lips together, holding a laugh in. "I feel as if we were already pretty close. Crazy, right?"

"We could become closer." He moved, so that the distance between the both of you got reduced to nearly nothing. The way he looked at you was so intense.

You found it hard to think, his smell numbing your senses. How did he smell so good? You thought in a post-apocalyptic world everyone would smell fetid. Chishiya didn't.

"I'd want that." You heard yourself say.

"Guess today is my lucky day, then."

You couldn't stand his charm anymore. You picked the Pokémon cookies and took a step back, murmuring something. You didn't even know what you said, but you reached the table where your group was all red and flustered.

You saw Chishiya's shoulders lifting up and down. He was laughing. Mean.

"Come on!" Urumi said to the young man in the striped shirt. "It's your turn!"

He stood up, waiting.

"Spade!"

"Yes, spade..."

"Spade? Oh, spade..."

What was on the back of his collar was a heart.

You could have said something. You should have said something. But one look at Chishiya's eyes, now serious, told you that you shouldn't.

And so, the next time you all went to say your suits, another explosion was heard.

The boy with the striped shirt didn't come out of his cell.

He was dead.