5: Lost III

Lost
Part 3

When Daryl returned to the Church, he was heavily confused as to why Girl hadn't run to greet him.

His first though was that she was mad at him for disappearing. And if this was the case, he didn't really blame her. He had sort of vanished without any trace or word of warning.

And he'd felt terrible about it ever since.

But he was back now, and he was ready to apologize and beg for forgiveness.

Walking back into the church was the easy part. As soon as the person on watch (Tyreese) spotted him, all weapons were lowered and shouts for the others were quickly in order.

Rick had emerged first, Daryl greeting him with a brotherly hug.

"You're back," Rick had said, nodding affirmatively.

"Yeah."

"And you brought a friend," Sasha spoke, her gun hanging lazily from her hands as she gestured to the boy standing behind Daryl.

He looked afraid, glancing around apprehensively at the the ragtag group. His gaze stopped on Carl for a moment, eyes widening when he spotted the gun in the boy's hands.

"He's Noah," Daryl said vaguely, searching the group around him for Girl.

"Where'd he come from?" Rick asked.

"A hospital," Daryl answered vaguely, "where's Girl? She inside with the baby?"

"Daryl, we should talk," Rick said calmly, gesturing for Daryl not to enter the church, "maybe go for a walk."

"Nah, been walking for a day now, where's she at, wanna have her help me skin these," Daryl pulled a rope of squirrels from his shoulder, tossing them from hand to hand absently.

"Daryl, I really don't think-"

"Where is she?"

"It's a lot to take in, I really think it's best if you-"

"Rick," Daryl cut in, "where is she?"

"She's gone."

"She's what?"

"She's gone, Daryl, I'm sorry."

"She go off after me or somethin'? I shoulda told her where I was headed, she can't track for shit," Daryl grumbled.

"No, Daryl-"

"Tell me which direction, I'll find her."

"Daryl she's gone," Rick repeated.

The group had started to disperse, sensing that this was going to be a touchy conversation. Daryl hadn't seen the bigger picture yet, maybe because he didn't understand Rick's words, or maybe because he didn't want to.

"I'll head out, find her in a couple hours, then we can hit the road again," Daryl said, "just tell me where she went."

"Daryl, she's not out there. She's gone."

"Gone where, Rick? Gone fuckin where?"

"Daryl-"

"Cause if she's dead you better fuckin just tell me she's dead. None of that 'she's gone' bullshit! Where the fuck is she?"

"People from Terminus, they showed up. Daryl, I'm sorry, she's gone," Rick stepped closer to his friend, not wanting him to do anything rash.

"She gone or is she dead?" Daryl shouted, throwing his squirrels on the ground. He shook his head, taking a step back from Rick's approaching figure.