8: Nowhere IV

Nowhere
Part 4

Girl stared on as Glenn finished the transaction with the ex-walker woman, her bright, living eyes making Girl feel slightly unnerved.

Glenn had handed her the slip that detailed the woman's order, sending her off to start making it. As she did so, Glenn answered the phone and started working on an order for delivery.

Girl was still focused on the way the woman had changed from a walker, back into a human being as she made the pizza that she'd ordered. She was so distracted that she almost burned it.

Everything was spinning out of control and she couldn't seem to decipher what was real and what she was imagining.

After Girl had finally found success in making the not-walker-woman's pizza, Glenn handed it off to her, giving her a pleasant 'Have a nice day' and waving kindly as she walked away.

When they were alone again, aside from the people in the dining area, Glenn turned around, leaning against the counter and staring Girl down.

"Sue, what's going on?" Glenn asked, "You're acting- weird."

Girl shrugged, looking to the doors where the woman had already left. The blood wasn't smeared on them anymore and it seemed that she'd never really been a walker.

"Seriously, Sue, it's like you're someone else, right now," Glenn said. He fiddled with a loose receipt sitting on the counter and tossed a crumb onto the ground.

Girl turned away, looking embarrassed of herself.

"Hey, Greg will be here soon with Johnny. Then we can leave," Glenn said, "I think you need a breather."

Girl groaned, rubbing her eyes. When she looked again, she stumbled backwards, shock playing across her face and shooting through her body.

She spotted two walkers in the back of the pizza kitchen. There was one facing her, a name tag on his shirt reading, Greg. The other was hanging through the drive through window, his body struggling to reach her.
Girl ran, vaulting over the counter and shooting out the door, Glenn had vanished, she didn't hear him yelling after her or chasing her and she hadn't seen him when she'd hurried away from Pa Paul's Pizza.

She didn't pause as she ran, hitting a small patch of woods and halting for breath. She leaned against the tree, heaving as she put her hands on her knees. She looked behind her, seeing that there was no one behind her. She also noticed that she was much farther from Pa Paul's Pizza than she thought. She couldn't have run more than a quarter of a mile, but the road behind her was flat and long, leading off into the distance so far that she swore she could see the edge of the world.

There was no way that was where she'd come from.

It was empty, blank land with nothing on it. It reminded her of a game from before the end. She was remembering it somehow.

Glenn had played it.

With her brother.

She'd had a brother.

Jake.

He'd played Minecraft with Glenn.

Minecraft. That was the game.

The world in front of her looked like a flat Minecraft world.

Why was she remembering this?

She stumbled against the tree, turning around and seeing that she was standing in a park. There was a playground before her.