6: Nowhere III

Nowhere
Part 3

As Girl drove, she found herself following a familiar road into a more populated part of town. She passed by stores and signs and places that she recognized so vehemently, but could not place why exactly she knew these places. She was almost certain that she had never been here before, but she knew it. She knew every turn, every stop light, every pothole to avoid.

Eventually, she pulled into the parking lot of a pizza place, the neon sign glowing with the words: 'Pa Paul's Pizza'. It seemed rather out of place in it's position. It seemed to stand out awkwardly and Girl was reminded of the weird shifting walls from the bedroom she'd been in when all of this unpleasantness had begun.

She parked her car, turning the key to turn off the ignition and getting out. She stood next to the car a moment, just staring up at the pizza place, keys in hand.

"Hey! Susie! You coming or what?"

Girl turned her head, hearing Susie and knowing that someone was referring to her. She'd finally accepted that wherever it was that she was, everyone knew her as Susie. So if she wanted to figure out what was going on, she was going to have to play along.

She tilted her head in confusion at the person who was calling to her.

It was Glenn.

What was Glenn doing here?

Did he know why she was going through the motions of a world she had never seen before?

"C'mon, we've got pizzas to make," Glenn laughed, walking over to her and snatching her keys.

He locked her door, clipping the keys to her belt and grabbing her arm.

She followed him inside Pa Paul's Pizza, trailing behind as he pushed into the kitchen. He grabbed an apron off a hook tossing another at her. She caught it quickly, looking down at it.

Did she work here?

She guessed that she did when Glenn started to wash his hands and head to what looked like cooking stations.

Girl tied her hair back, slipping the apron over her head and followed where Glenn went.

"Hey, Joey! You're off, me and Sue are here!" Glenn called, catching sight of a man mopping in the restaurant section, just past the ordering counter.

"Thanks, Glenn! Tell Greg I mopped, he said he'd give me a fiver extra!"

"Got it!" Glenn called back, grabbing a ticket, from the counter and starting to make a pizza.

Girl stood by, looking down at her hands.

They were hardly sanitary.

No matter what she did, none of the wet, sticky blood on her hands or the dirt on her arms would budge.

She grabbed a pair of gloves from where Glenn had grabbed his and pulled them on. She winced when she felt the blood smear under the plastic, feeling even more uncomfortable.

"What are you waiting for, Greg ditched and now we've got 20 orders backed up," Glenn said, grabbing another ticket and passing it to Girl.