---36---

"Hi, sweetheart." I hear a voice just above a whisper call out from behind me, gentle and soft, but full of hurt. I didn't need to turn around to recognize who it belonged to. Instead, I kept my gaze fixated on the landscape before me.

A field full of the prettiest flowers stretched to the horizon as the sun was beaming down on them and my figure.

When I try to turn around, I can't. I'm stuck. I feel the Earth keep my feet in place and struggling only makes its grip tighter.

"Dad?" I speak up.

"Oh, my angel. I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, Dad. Why can't I turn around to see you...?"

"It's better this way, Y/n. I don't want you to be afraid."

"Afraid? Afraid of what?"

"Of me."

Suddenly, everything around me changes. The sun gets covered by gray clouds and all the flowers wither one by one, and I'm forced to look. They become all shades of gray and black until they reach my feet. The only ones that don't shrivel up are the ones right below me.

Before me, I see my hometown, as dull as ever. My home, the soldiers, the hill I used to watch the stars with my dad on, and it's all crumbling down, burning with the most vibrant and vicious of flames.

"Dad?! DAD!"

"Don't worry, hija. It will all be over soon. Don't cry. I want you to stay strong, alright?"

His voice fades away along with the flames, and I finally wake up, sweating and crying.

I see Camilo wide awake, staring at me.

"Nightmare?" he whispered, resuming to brush my hair with his fingers, smoothing it out and untangling all the knots.

"Yeah...but it felt so, so real." I manage to choke out.

"Wanna talk about it?"

I did want to talk about it, so as well as I could I unwrapped my dream to him, missing no details. He stood there nodding and listening, and that's all I needed to calm down.

When I finally regained my composure, I looked out the window to see the sun revealing itself from behind the mountains.

"Big day tomorrow, huh?"

"Yeah. Antonio will finally get his gift. I suppose we have a lot of work today then."

"Indeed. Good thing we're up early."

I chuckled at his words and then we both went on with our day, getting Casita ready and then doing our jobs in the town.

                                         ***

Finally, the day was upon us. I got up early to get ready for the big celebration in the afternoon, laying the dress that Mirabel got for me the day before and spreading it neatly over a chair.

I felt giddy with excitement as I walked down the stairs of the now-so-familiar house of the Madrigals. Everybody was up and at work, except Mirabel who was in the kitchen.

I walk up to her to help set the table. Meanwhile, a group of equally as excited kids makes their way in front of the house. It almost feels like Christmas morning. I spot them out the window and salute them.

"Y/n! Mirabel! When does the magic thing happen?" they holler at us.

"My cousin's ceremony is tonight!" Mira cheerfully responds before getting back to what she was previously doing.