---37---

"So you're saying that Mirabel also saw the cracks?" Bruno asks me, still taking in the story I told him.

"Well, I saw nothing." Carlos interrupts, making his way to me. "Long time no see," he says, checking me out.

"Oh, shut it. Now it's not the time! So you saw them, Bruno?"

"Yes, but only for a few moments. Like a vision, you know?"

I nodded my head, still deep in thought. "Then why did I feel weird?"

"How should I know? Thanks for the food, by the way."

"Maybe it's because you're one year closer to death now. Happy birthday, by the way." Carlos says, and my mouth falls agape.

Holy shit. There's no way...

"Oh, don't tell me you forgot."

"I-Oh my God...how did you even remember?"

"How did you even forget?"

"I don't know?! Perhaps I've been too busy trying to figure out what that prophecy scroll means, how Camilo's clone from another dimension got here, getting ready for this gift ceremony, and missing home! Not to mention I have to hide the fact that you and Bruno live in the walls of this house!"

"Not valid. Let's go celebrate, while we still can."

"You don't have to do that..." I looked at Carlos, almost embarrassed for the fact that I forgot about my birthday and it becoming a fuss.

"Sure I do. That's what friends are for. Now let's go!"

"Fine, bye Bruno."

"Bye kid, happy birthday!"

We sneak out of the house and make our way into the forest.

"The other Y/n probably hates me for ditching her birthday." the boy lets out a low chuckle.

"Oh, so that's how you remembered. This is my first-ever birthday away from home. Without dad...I can't help but feel off."

"I get it. To be honest, and I never thought I'd say this, I miss my home too. Even tho I'm basically in it."

I nodded in response and sat down on the fluffy grass, my head facing the brightly lit night sky.

I closed my eyes and breathed in the fresh air. It smelt so familiar, yet so strange.

"I can't wait to tell Camilo that I was the one you celebrated your birthday with. I bet he'll cry."

"He's gonna feel so bad...what if he thinks I didn't want to spend my birthday with him?!"

I abruptly stand up, "We have to go back and get him! I don't want to celebrate without him..."

Carlos sighs, gets up, and pats my back. "Of course, you don't. Let's go get your loverboy."

I tried protesting against the nickname, but before I could say anything, Carlos stopped me. "Don't even try to deny it, Y/n. It's painfully obvious that you two have a thing for each other. Everyone sees it besides you two."

Awkward silence. And then he speaks up again. He stops in his tracks and with a stoic expression adds "Do me a favor, will you?"

"What favor?"

"Tell him. Tonight."

I'm left speechless. Why would I do that? Why does he care so much about my relationship with Camilo?

"Why? I mean, I'm fine with us being just friends."

"God, Y/n, you're so stubborn. You've been here long enough to sort out your feeling for him. And trust me, friends don't do the things you guys do. Just saying. One day you'll leave this place. Do you really want to regret keeping your feelings hidden for the rest of your life? What if you never see him again?"