t e n

"So, there's a party at Annabel's tonight. You in?" Christian asks on the way to class. Her house. Your her.

We've been hanging out a lot, and I think it's affected you as much as if I'd fallen off the face of the earth. You're polite. Civil. Nothing more. You also cancelled our project dates twice.

I restrain myself from making a face. She's having a party, well good for her. Congratulations. Our old friends will go and simper like puppets.

"Are you going?" I ask, looking at him from beneath my lashes. He, at least, isn't impervious to my charms. He grins down at me, eyes flicking to my lips.

"Yeah."

"Then sure. You'll pick me up?"

"If you want."

Our hanging out has mostly consisted of coffee dates and me asking question after inane question about books and school and hobbies. He shoots skeet, which turns out to be a very dry subject. He hasn't kissed me yet, but I think I would let him.

It's the plan, after all.

You and Annabel round the corner, her holding onto your muscular arm like she's on ice and about to fall. You look down at her with a smile, she puffs an exhale. Flips her hair. Smiles.

I don't hate anymore. Not quite. I've got a plan, a lovely, borderline insane plan.

You nod to us. Christian greets you. I just smile seductively, something possible solely due to my siren lipgloss.

"Hey Carolina," you say. You have never said my whole name. I can't... it hurts. I raise my eyebrows because I don't trust my voice. "We could work on the Pre-Cal project at lunch."

"Sure." I reply, cooly. She looks suspicious, and I smile sweetly at her.

I will steal you back.
***
If you got the vague jimmy eat world reference you're cool.