t w e n t y - t h r e e

i love gracefulinsanity more than books^ to say she's my best friend is an understatement <3
<<•>>•<<•>>•<<•>>

We walk across the school parking lot, not holding hands. You're flicking your mechanical pencil against your calculator, watching people watching us.

Annabel is standing by the doors. She watches, but says nothing. Not so feisty now. I smirk at her, flicking my hair back over my shoulder. Her friends stand around her, consoling and protective. Like Kennedy.

We take our Pre-Cal exam side by side. I struggle with reciprocals, but every time I take a break I look to the side, and you're there, writing and typing, steadily and sure.

Kennedy perches on the counter, swinging her long legs back and forth as I reapply my lipstick. She's wearing corduroy shorts and sheer thigh-highs with cute, shiny saddle shoes.

"So," she says, kicking her legs. "How's Ry?"

I smile, my stomach warming. I roll my lips together. "It's been great."

"Are you...sure."

"I thought you wanted us to get back together?" She's biting her lip, marking her perfectly applied lipgloss.

"I just...I want you to have someone...reliable."

"I want him."

She smiles, and takes my hand. We swing them together. "Okay. I'm glad you're happy."

"Love you, Kennery."

"Love you more, Caroliner."

The doors swing inward and they walk inside. It's amazing, the hate is just gone. Now that I have you.

Annabel's cheeks burn when her eyes meet mine, and she locks herself in the handicap-friendly stall. We drop hands, and Kennedy turns to fix her hair in the mirror, something she does when she's uncomfortable but doesn't care enough to be rude.

One of her friends stands next to me and mutters something that sounds like dykes.

"That's hardly socially acceptable anymore." Kennedy drawls, hopping off the counter. She holds out her hand and I drop mine into hers.

We whirl out of the bathroom, pretending not to hear the quiet sobs from the handicap stall.