Chapter Seven

They returned to their room for a break as there was a lull in proceedings before the dancing commenced. Sophie wanted nothing more than to kick off her shoes and dress and slob in a t-shirt, but she knew there was no way she'd squeeze her feet back into those items of torture again. So instead she slumped into a chair and sighed.

"Wish we were going home now Bill. I've had enough, I hate weddings!"

He slid into the chair opposite and loosened his tie, "I know what you mean, but we're here, we can have a dance, eat some more food then turn in. Ok? Let's at least get our money's worth out of this family!"

She nodded but he laughed at her lack of enthusiasm, the mini bar had some rescue remedies, "doughnuts and full fat coke!" He threw them on the table in front of her, "Energy and rejuvenation!"

They hit the spot and the fatigue that had hampered as soon as she'd entered the room eased. She hadn't allowed herself to analyse the events earlier, she had no idea what she thought about her dialogue with Miles, but she did feel that she'd left the situation with the upper hand. And that was all that mattered.

Back in the circus that was the wedding, it was all change. With subdued lighting, and soft music the room did seem transformed into the winter paradise that Melody had obviously desired. Bill collected another two glasses of champagne and led her into the room.

Relocating their seats, they sat and watched the bride and groom take to the dance floor.

"Celine Dion?" Sophie hissed. "I can't bloody stand her!"

Bill chuckled a deep resonant sound, "My heart will go on...cheesy! What would you have as your wedding song?"

She tilted her head in rebellion, "I'm never getting married Bill."

"Humour me!"

She thought for a moment, "Dolly Parton D.I.V.O.R.C.E.?"

Chuckling again he shook his head, "there am I thinking you do have a romantic side!"

"I'm practical, how can you be practical AND romantic?"

Running a hand over his chin he sighed, "You're an artist; love and romance are your fodder."

She laughed, "Maybe that's why I'm so unsuccessful? If I put more romance into my drawings..."

"You're not unsuccessful, but you are a little cynical Sophie, and that's sad."

There was no real comeback to that, as they watched the newly married couple on the dance floor. Once the song finished other music started and the dance floor filled with various other couples. Bill spotted Miles prowling and whilst he'd been a little critical of her and she seemed frosty to him for a moment, he couldn't let that man step in.

"Let's dance."

She tried to protest but Bill didn't listen pulling her onto the dance floor and then into his arms.

"You're such a bully, no wonder I don't want to get married, no man is bossing me around!"

He smiled a response, they were friends again. They moved to the music and it was a few minutes until she lifted her head from his shoulder to look up at him.

"What would be your song?"

It only seemed fair that she finally ask him that, it had been a very one sided conversation earlier.

"I don't think you can pick one until you're in a relationship, as it should be linked to them I suppose, but I do know it wouldn't be Celine Dion. I'd probably pick some crooner, old Blue Eyes or something."