Chapter Twenty Two

A/N Because I've had 500 views in twelve hours, and because it's the weekend - an extra chapter! Thanks for the comments, votes, views...appreciate you all!

“Will you forgive me?” He breathed.

Sophie was speechless, and she could only stare at him. The last thing she expected when she’d poured out her heart in that email was that Bill would drop everything and turn up here, at the launch. She could feel she was staring at him, he was a sight for sore eyes, her anger, her longing, her desire, her disappointment, more emotions than she could imagine were all combining in one huge assault, and she was struggling to deal with the reality of it. He came.

Bill had been watching her for a few moments from the door before he’d stepped into the gallery, and drunk in the vision that was Sophie Beck. He’d missed her more than he could ever imagine, and here she was looking unbelievably beautiful, the centre of attention, the whole room focused on her. He couldn’t have missed this for all the world. And she looked so stunning, her glossy hair piled up so seductively, her exposed slender neck that his teeth just begged to sink into, to taste and savour, and a dress that looked like it was made for her. He was reminded of a glamorous 1950’s film star, and it was the greatest combination. Their time together was so brief, and so long ago that as he observed her, he struggled to contain his ardour.

Smiling at Nick and the beautiful Sara, he reached for Sophie’s elbow, ignoring the jolts of electricity that erupted at the contact, then excused them. Leading her to the door, the man who he soon realised was the proprietor of the gallery tried to intercept them, but Bill shook his head.

                “She needs a little fresh air. Give her two minutes.” It was an insistent and commanding comment and Michael faded away leaving their path clear.

A little along the street he released her elbow and turned her to look at him, “speak to me darling.”

Bewildered, that was how she was feeling. Sophie felt as though she was out of body, watching this happen from a distance. Lifting her eyes she finally met Bill’s.

                 “What are you doing here?”

 He sighed, “there’s so much to say, I can’t even begin to apologise, but this isn’t my time it’s yours! I wanted to be here for you, and I was supposed to get in at lunchtime, but there was a flight delay in Malaysia. I hope I haven’t spoilt this for you?”

                 “Tonight?” She sighed, had this spoilt the night? She had wanted him to be part of this more than anything, but since she’d realised why he was so absent, since he’d let her down, this was the furthest from what she’d expected.

                 “I need to go back inside,” she finally managed.

 As she made to turn, Bill held her back, “can I stay? Will you talk to me later?”

 She nodded to both, “you look tired.” 

“It’s been a tiring month. You on the other hand look edible!”  He waggled an eyebrow menacingly and when she chuckled, he knew she was at least being civil towards him. She deserved to be angry, who could blame her? He watched her swish back into the gallery, that divine dress so perky, cheeky, yet attractive. He’d screwed up big style, and he knew it. He just hoped she’d forgive him. When he’d read that email a couple of days ago two feelings warred within him, the nausea, pain, anger at making such a ridiculous error in judgement, then the euphoria that she loved him, that he’d been her muse, that all this...he glanced up at the full gallery, the works of art, it had all been about him. 

A twenty four hour flight was too long a time to dwell and stew over what went wrong, and it wasn’t until Bill had entered his home earlier in the evening to dump his bags, that he was hit between the eyes with a bolt of truth. Since he’d found out about his mother’s infidelity and that it was the reason for his father’s attitude towards him, he’d lost trust in everyone. Other than Sophie and Vincenza he’d not let anyone get close to him since he was a child, somehow, when he admitted he loved Sophie, more than anything else, she took a position of power in his life. He could see it all so clearly now. He had to make it right, he only hoped he wasn’t too late to apologise for letting her down.