|CH5|

I stood behind the large desk in my home office, staring down at the paperwork that has the information of my parents/family

I stood behind the large desk in my home office, staring down at the paperwork that has the information of my parents/family. It's as if I could hear my dad in my ear, his voice hurt and angry.

"Jaziel why on earth would you want to find those lowlifes? They gave you away. They abandoned you. Me and Sarah we saved you, we raised you, we protected you. Thanks to US your a Senator. No thanks to them, you can't betray us by communicating with them. That's a direct slap to the face. You can't."

I didn't need to call him, didn't need his permission, but that didn't stop me from knowing what he'd say. He wasn't an understanding man. Contrary to what the world believes he was quick to judge first and contemplate later. I'd only asked about my real parents once. That was at the age of sixteen. That was the first time I'd genuinely seen him angry with me. It was as if he was yelling but his voice was calm, that's how hard his words hit. He made me feel bad for wanting to know, and acted as if I was going against him by being curious. And he made them seem like the worst individuals to walk this Earth.

So I'd never asked.

And I let that be the last time I was openly curious.

This time I had a plan, a plan that didn't involve my dad, Sarah, or Emma. This was one I needed to handle on my own. Only thing is the thought of walking up to a strangers home which is where my real parents reside causes fear to creep inside of me. What would they think? What would they say? What would I say? I need support in this, emotionally. I've never considered myself an emotional person but my head physically hurts when I think of myself walking up to the doorstep alone.

Without thinking I pull my phone out calling the one person my heart and mind told me I needed to be by my side during this.

It felt as if the phone rang forever and I was surprised when her voice came from the other end. Sounding unimpressed, agitated, yet still soft and calm. "Jaziel." She mutters.

"Key," I call out leaning back in my seat I run my hand down my face. "I uh....I need you."

"Need me?" She scoffs. "Need me? Where's Emma? Your wife."

"She's exactly where she's supposed to be which is out of this," I sort of snap. I shake my head. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for being angry it's just...I need to do something. And she wouldn't understand, and she wouldn't help the situation-"

"What do you need Senator?" She questions pettily.

"It's Jaz to you," I correct. "And I need you to come with me," I pause preparing myself to say the words aloud. "I need you to travel with me to go meet my actual parents."

The other end was quiet so quiet that I felt the need to ask if she was still there.

"Yeah I'm here. Or maybe I'm not, I could've sworn I heard you say you want to find your real family which can't possibly be true." She utters sarcastically.