The Betrayal

TEMPEST WASN'T ONE to eavesdrop

Yet she paused when she heard talking coming from Silver and Kane's cell. She crept closer like a thief in the night with silent steps and slithering movements. Stopping three cells away, Tempest pressed herself against the wall and listened.

"So, everyone gets reborn?" Kane asked.

Silver hummed. Tempest could already see the familiar head tilt while he mulled over the question. "No, not everyone gets reborn. Some people choose not to return."

"And what happens if they don't come back?"

"Some cease to exist. Others go to heaven or valhalla. Hell. There are thousands of afterlifes."

Tempest's soul stung, slashed by a thousand cuts. She'd said those exact words to Silver and Odette many years ago. To hear them come from Silver now made her stomach churn.

"So, this King Arthur guy," Kane paused and Tempest heard shuffling, "you're saying that I was him? Like, thousands of years ago."

"Yeah. Drawing Caliburn means that you're the Once and Future King because only he could pull it out of the stone."

"What about Tempest?"

"You said she protects the swords. Can't she pull it out if she wanted to?"

Tempest rolled her eyes, mumbling, "Idiot."

"Ah, no." Silver chuckled and a scratching sound emerged from the quiet. "She can wield Clarent, the sword at her hip. But not Caliburn. Caliburn is strictly a Pendragon weapon. It proves and therefore is tied to your lineage."

When the silence returned Tempest saw this as her chance to reveal herself. She paused when she heard Kane's next question.

"Why doesn't Tempest like you?"

The silence was so loud that Tempest could've sworn that she heard her own heart hammering.

"That's... a complicated question."

Tempest raised a brow. She disagreed. The answer was actually quite simple.

Kane huffed. "We made a deal. Loyalty for knowledge. Well I want some damn knowledge so spill."

The corner of Tempest's mouth twitched, detecting the sassy tone in the younger man's voice. It quickly fell when she processed the extent of their deal. Loyalty. She bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from driving Clarent through Silver's heart.

He claimed to have changed but then he went and made a deal with a stupid human for the price of loyalty. Just like an Unseelie fae would.

"When you put it like that it does make sense."