The Image of a Hero

KANE OPENED HIS eyes and saw light

He rose from where he laid on a bed of soft grass. His hands trailed over his body, finding no wounds or aching pains. His clothes were pristine and smelled fruity. When he checked his hair he was pleased to discover that it was thoroughly brushed and clean.

"Hello?" Kane called out. "Is anyone here?"

A breeze caressed his skin. It was warm, like the wind that was born when spring shifted into summer. The scent of grapes wafted over Kane, igniting a fresh wave of hunger within him. He clutched his stomach, feeling a touch of annoyance.

Even in death food was a necessity? That kinda sucked.

Kane followed his nose, going deeper into the woods. Trees towered over him like gangly giants. Their leaves were the brightest shade of green he'd ever seen. The bark of each tree was radiant like the sun. Kane had never seen plants look so healthy before.

Everything looked perfect.

Kane passed broad fields of grain and endless rows of produce. There were apples everywhere and he lost count of how many orchards he'd passed. His fingers itched to pluck an apple from each tree he came across. Never before had he felt so famished.

With no one around to ask, Kane stopped and reached upwards. His fingers grazed the roundest, reddest apple of the bunch. Its aesthetic was so delectable that it looked like something straight out of an animated movie.

"It's ok to take it. Everything here is at our disposal."

Kane screeched, whirling around in such a hurry that he tripped over his feet and face planted. "Ow."

A booming laugh filled the air. Kane squirmed. A warm flush crept up the back of his neck. When he looked up there was a large hand hanging in front of his face. His gaze followed it upwards, past the pale forearm, beyond the plain shirt and met hooded ice blue eyes.

"You alright?" the man asked, slightly rolling his r's. "You took quite a spill there, yeah?"

"Uh, yeah." Kane grabbed his hand, allowing the man to haul him up. "Thanks."

The man towered over Kane much like the surrounding trees. Kane felt like an ant when he reached over him. The perfect apple filled Kane's ravenous vision seconds later. He actually considered taking it for a moment.

After all, his grandma warned him not to take candy from a stranger. Not apples.

Yet he wavered because deep down, he knew Tempest would be annoyed with him if he didn't investigate.

Even in death he worried about letting her down.

"Take a bite first."

The man's wide lips curled upwards into a loopy half smile. "Alright." Juices ran down his trimmed golden beard. "Happy?" he asked, still munching loudly while offering Kane another apple. "Go ahead. It's safe to eat."