The Eye of the Storm

KANE KNEW HE wasn't alone

Pursing his lips, Kane pushed himself up into a sitting position. The mattress was firm and—his fingers stumbled along the rough sheet—made of straw? A low groan emerged from his clamped mouth when his entire back popped. When he swung his legs over the side of the bed, his stomach lurched as the world spun.

Time—he always felt weird referring to time knowing that it wasn't real now—crawled by slowly. When the dimly lit room stopped whirling like a carnival ride, his eyes flicked towards a dark corner. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end. He trusted his instincts and muttered his sword's name.

Caliburn emerged from the empty space before him. He snatched the gleaming sword from the small 'tween and stood. Ignoring his protesting body, he gripped the hilt tightly and pointed at the corner.

"I don't know who you are," he said, voice scratchy and low, "but I know you're here."

A small laugh ricocheted throughout the room. Kane jumped when the sound resonated over his shoulder. He held steady, however, gaze fixed intently on the dark corner. He knew, he knew, that the owner of that high pitched laugh was in front of him. Not behind.

"Tempest said you were jumpy," came a soft reply, "but she didn't say you were this squirrely."

The hidden woman stepped out of the shadows and into the faint light. Her smokey wide eyes met Kane's, reflecting nothing but kindness and warmth.

"Where's Tempest?" he asked, taking a step back when she took one forward. Something about her was different. He could feel it. "Where's Silver?"

The curvy woman motioned towards the closed door. "Down the hall. I can take you to see them but first," she blocked him before he could leave, "I must finish checking you out."

Kane's eyes narrowed suspiciously. "For what?"

Her thick, arched brows rose upon her forehead. Her hands opened, facing Kane palms up as she nodded towards his bare upper body.

Kane looked down and gasped, almost losing his grip on Caliburn. Faint bruises covered him. Something black was inked into his skin, right over his heart. "What is that?" he asked, ears burning red when he stuttered.

"A symbol from the Ogham alphabet," she replied. "It represents one of the twenty sacred trees."

Kane blinked. "So I died and got a... tree tattoo? That's very tumblr."

The woman's face scrunched up when she laughed. She shook her head, shaking the golden nose ring she wore just a tad. "You did not die. I made sure of that. And you didn't get a tattoo either, you just... received a blessing of sorts."

Kane hummed. "Because that makes so much more sense than the tree tattoo." He paused then looked down at her once he processed all of her words. "You... saved me?"