The Two-Front Battle

TEMPEST TWISTED SIDEWAYS, narrowly avoiding the dragon's talons

She landed with a thud. Shock vibrated throughout her body from the force of the fall. The dragon's ocean hued scales skated across her cheek when she raised her face. A sharp blow from its reptilian arm sent her flying. Daggers dug into her back when she slammed into a tree.

Kane's anxiety ridden face appeared above her. His eyes were like reflections of pure distress. He glanced between Tempest's dazed expression and the dragon circling the sky.

"What can I do to help?"

Tempest weakly shook her head, staggering to her feet and launching Kane to the side as the dragon dove. "I told you to hide!"

The river rose and fell in serpentine waves, mimicking the dragon's flying pattern. Tempest broke into a mad dash, diving into the lake seconds before the dragon sliced through the tree. She breathed in the lake water, jolting awake at the cool vigor seeping into her skin.

The dragon plunged in after her.

Tempest yelled, whipping out Clarent and clasping the hilt with both hands. The obsidian power emerging from the blade bonded with her strong will. "Come on!"

The dragon roared, shooting towards Tempest quicker than an arrow. Water crashed into her feet, propelling her towards the beast. Her shoulder burned when the dragon tilted its head to the side, dodging her swing and latching onto her. Gargled screams erupted from her open mouth. The dragon bit harder, nearly snapping her arm off.

So much for benevolence.

Tempest gasped. Her nerves went haywire. The lake water desperately tried and failed to heal her bleeding wound. The dragon sank its teeth deeper until it reached her bones. She let out a choked shout, feebly clobbering the dragon with Clarent's hilt. Black spots dotted her vision. Golden blood pricked her tongue.

She really hated Eastern dragons.

An earth shattering boom echoed above them. The dragon jerked towards the noise, red eyes narrowing. The sharp pain blasting throughout her stung like a thousand bee stings. It woke her up. She bombarded the dragon with quick lashings and kicks. Taking advantage of its surprise, Tempest drove Clarent straight through its left eye.

Sweet relief overcame her when the dragon's jaw went slack. Tempest grabbed the end of her sword with all the strength she could muster. She pushed Clarent in deeper, using it like a spear. A disturbing wail pierced the underwater ambience and the dragon finally let her go.

Tempest sunk like a rock, too stunned to move as the cold element rushed to save her. The dragon slithered throughout the lake in a panicked dance. Knocking against rocks and mauling its own face. Clarent refused to budge. Tempest knew better than to call it back to her before she'd fully recovered.

Things rarely seemed to go her way, though. Not these days.

She cried out when the dragon charged towards the surface. All she could think of was Kane and how defenseless he'd be against a fully grown dragon with his limited training.