The Quest for Silver Begins

KANE FOLLOWED THE tether connecting him to Silver with high hopes and an inability to stay quiet

"Question."

Tempest hummed, continuing to hack away at the bright pink leaves blocking their path. "What?"

"How do we know that they didn't take Silver away from Eros?" he asked, taking a quick half step sideways to avoid a face full of suspiciously purple pollen. Sweat dripped from his brow. He wiped it away with the back of his hand, cursing the unbearably hot sun of Eros. "What if he's not even here anymore?"

Tempest slicked back stray flyaways into her smooth ponytail. "We don't. The best we can do is follow the bond and see where it leads us."

"And what if it leads us to Queen Mab and her army?"

Tempest shrugged, undeterred as she toyed with the hilt of her sword. "Then we're led towards Queen Mab and her army."

Kane balked, floored by her indifference. "Aren't you scared?"

"Of what?"

Her nose scrunched up. It was cute. Their eyes finally met. Kane thought that, for a second, the blackness inside her dark eyes were a tad lighter than usual.

He shook his head, looking away first. It was probably a trick of the blindingly bright sunlight. "Queen Mab. Fighting a whole army. None of that scares you?" he asked.

"No."

"Really?" Kane glanced at her, half curious and half in disbelief. "Why not?"

Tempest frowned. A mirage of emotions danced across her sharp face. It gave Kane whiplash at the blatant honesty he saw there. Granted, he hadn't known her for very long, but he knew enough about her to know that she kept her cards close to her chest. She wasn't one to let her guard down easily. Nor was she one to so brazenly show her true emotions.

So her openness with him now had Kane feeling... suspicious.

Why was she indulging him instead of telling him to shut up?!

"I... don't know." Tempest's brows knitted, leaving a crease in her forehead that Kane had the sudden urge to smooth over. "I just don't fear it."

"What do you fear then?" Kane asked, his curiosity was always getting the better of him.

"Failure." Her cheeks tinted the shade of a pink rose. She bit her lip. A pained look crossed her face before her mouth snapped open like a marionette, worrying Kane. "Losing someone I love."

Kane held his tongue when they stumbled across a waterfall. He wanted to ask, needed to ask, the question burning on the tip of his tongue. But the sharp tug from his bond with Silver silenced him. He pointed towards the heavenly scene before them and said, "It's leading me there."

"Wait here."

Before Kane could even protest she dropped the mysterious bag and unsheathed Clarent. Tempest waded into the water without a second thought, vanishing beneath the surface. Kane watched with bated breath when she appeared at the waterfall in the blink of an eye. She crept upwards, onto the jagged rocks, then disappeared from his sight when she went beyond.