The Honorable Man

KANE COULDN'T BREATHE

He stumbled out of the tent of pained groans and golden blood. His head pounded something fearsome. Hands attempted to steer him back inside but he shucked them off, staggering onto the beach. Bodies littered the stained sand. His stomach turned. Kane pressed a hand to his mouth to keep from throwing up again.

Broken memories of losing Silver before being tugged underwater flashed in his mind. His throat constricted. The siren's touch had scorched his skin not with fear but with a burning lust he couldn't free himself from. Once ensnared by her dazzling diamond eyes his body went slack.

It was her eyes that placated Kane. That made him feel content to die in her arms at the bottom of the sea. He'd given up right when...

When?

Kane shook his head. It took every bit of strength he had left not to keel over. He gingerly touched the side of his face, following the bandage wrapped around his head. He hissed when he found the source of his pain, feeling the bandage damp with blood.

Ok, so, he had drowned. But he hadn't died, right? Somehow, he'd made it onto the beach. Someone had to have come after him. But who?

A cold wind blew over Kane. He shivered, having finally been stripped of his armor to wander around in a thin shirt and pants. The hair on the back of his neck stood on end.

When Kane looked up he locked eyes with an unknown man. Shrouded in darkness, the tall figure moved like a plague through the devastation. Kane held his breath. Each severely wounded fae the man passed closed their eyes.

They didn't open.

"Death," Kane whispered, mouth hanging ajar, stupefied. "Am I gonna...?"

Kane couldn't even finish the sentence as Death stood over him. His dark eyes almost looked... angry?

"Am I gonna die?"

"No."

He sagged in relief, letting out a heavy sigh. A sudden rustling at the bottom of Death's cloak drew his attention. His mouth fell open in disbelief and he stuttered, "Kobe? Uh, I mean, Wolf?"

The runt bolted forward, licking Kane's nose affectionately. Sand kicked up as he plopped onto the ground, tongue lolling out as he eyed Death.

"Why?" Kane trailed off, pain slamming into the back of his head with a vengeance. "What happened?"

Death stared at Kane blankly. For a short spell, only the sounds of wailing and waves crashing upon the shore could be heard. Then he crooked his finger, setting off towards a long tent standing apart from the others.

Kane scrambled after Death and Kobe. His legs shook like jelly. To his surprise, neither of the fae guarding the entrance spared Death or Kobe so much as a glance. Could they not see them? Did that mean...