The Dragon of the East

DRAKŌN'S AIR WAS crisp and cool

The blinding blue light from the jewel receded once they passed through the portal. Kane's hands rested on his knees. A low buzzing simmered in the back of his mind like tomato soup about to boil over. The comparison reminded him of winter evenings spent with his grandma. Sipping piping hot soup and dunking grilled cheese sandwiches into the creamy meal.

When he opened his eyes not only was he feeling nostalgic but uneasy as well. The sky blotted in black ink and the moon spilling silver could only mean one thing.

Midnight.

A 'tween.

He shuddered. The fear he felt curling in his gut wasn't an unfamiliar one. Nonetheless, it was still an unwelcome sensation to endure.

Kane usually made sure to sleep through midnight to avoid this specific feeling. If it weren't for the need to find and retrieve Silver, he'd probably be begging Tempest to make camp right now.

Midnight made him cowardly.

Loyalty gave him the strength to continue on in spite of that.

"You're getting better at traveling."

Tempest's voice was like medicine. It soothed the dull ache settling inside his head, chasing the fog away. He sucked in a deep breath and pushed himself upwards. A gentle breeze rustled his stray baby hairs. He smiled weakly, thankful that her words weren't followed by a backhanded remark this time.

"Thanks."

Tempest nodded. Her dark gaze moved away from him and scanned the surroundings. Kane analyzed the new world from on top of the high mountain the jewel deposited them on. It wasn't like Hiraeth or Eros. Drakōn was something entirely different.

To the East there were scores of pink trees scattered across the land like splattered paint. Billows of thin smoke curled upwards from small pools of hot springs. When the wind blew over him he thought he caught a whiff of incense. There were tons of lakes and streams. Rows of fields and speckled plants he couldn't make out too well.

The East eased his nerves and he felt the tether tug in that direction.

To the West the land was dark. As in, it was physically, genuinely dark. The grass, trees, everything looked like it'd been bathed in black soot. A heavy smog lingered there. Kane's lips curled upwards in disgust when the Western wind enveloped them. It left a tangy taste in his mouth.

In the background he couldn't help but think he saw volcanoes. Glowing red hot and gushing lava. He blinked, shook his head, then looked away. Kane liked adventure as much as the next guy but volcanoes were where he drew the line.

In the North there was nothing but ice and snow. And in the South there seemed to be something more tropical going on over there. He couldn't tell for sure as there was some kind of weird barrier distorting the image. It was like trying to look through foggy glass. He couldn't make out anything but vague, colorful outlines.