15. Undercover

"You've got to be kidding me," came Hunter's smooth voice from the bridge, with enough edge to it that Vel's interest was piqued. She'd been tucked away in a corner, pretending to read but really trying to meditate. Her recent brushes with the Force had been both encouraging and inviting, and she found a bit more confidence in seeking it out. Besides, it had come in handy, and she wanted nothing more than to be useful. But Hunter's tone was enough to break her out of her thoughts for some good old eavesdropping. 

"I mean, if the Jedi can't, what about someone from the city? I'm sure you have contacts..." came his voice down the hall, followed by a garbled answer from the hologram before him. "No, I get it, it's just... not really our thing." This was met with a longer and louder bunch of fuzzy speech from the holo that Vel couldn't make out, but she got the gist from Hunter's response: "Yes, sir. No, I understand, sir. Yes, sir."

The holo beeped as it disappeared into the console, and Hunter let out a deep sigh. It was too much to resist, so Vel ambled up to the bridge. 

"What was that all about?" she asked. No use in beating around the bush.

"We're going to Cantonica," Hunter replied. "Some greasy gambler apparently is highly invested in a lab that is working on a compound that melts clone armor. Could be a huge mess if it's finished and weaponized."

"Never heard of it," Vel said, "But it sounds like quite the adventure, no? I mean, all you have to do is say 'laboratory explosion' and you know Wrecker will be on board."

"Heh," was the extent of mirth from Hunter, "Normally, yes. But they're cramping our style a bit on this one. We're going undercover. And you're coming along too."

***

The Marauder settled effortlessly onto the landing platform, and with a hiss from the suspension, the stairs folded out. The briefing wasn't quite complete, however. As Tech made the final adjustments on the landing sequence, Hunter continued his instructions to the team in the cockpit of the ship.

"Please ensure you have done everything in your power to memorize every detail of this individual," he said, motioning toward the image rotating on the holo, "He should not be too hard to find, considering his love of attention, but we do not want to make any careless mistakes, the likelihood of which are increased by the inefficient layout and overpopulation of this particular casino."

"Blue skin and a gold face tattoo?" Wrecker said impatiently, "Come on!"

"It may sound unique," Tech inserted promptly, "But they are traits common among Pantorans; therefore, our target is more easily identified by his behavior than his looks alone."

"That's what we're looking for," Hunter said. "We have to ensure he plays right into our hand; he has to make the first move."

"I still think we need a backup plan," Vel admitted. "This is a massive failure waiting to happen."

"With an attitude like that, it will be," Crosshair crooned sardonically. "Cheer up. We know you've got it in you." His words carried more weight than they should have, and Vel eyed him with suspicion. He met her gaze evenly, allowed his eyes to lazily yet pointedly roam toward Tech, then back to Hunter without a further word. 

Vel felt a bit exposed all of a sudden, but it was brushed aside with Hunter's continued briefing.

"We'll be fine," Hunter said authoritatively. "Just stick to the plan. Jouren Terrik is known for three things: money, attention, and women. If we play our parts, he'll be hooked. We'll blend in to whatever they're all doing here, make sure Vel gets his attention, and once she gets to the lab..." 

"Boom!" Wrecker hollered jovially.

"Not this time," Hunter corrected. "We have to be discreet. They can't know anything has been touched. Tech will plant his little doomsday device and that's it."