23. Revelation

"I still do not understand," Tech insisted, "By virtually any measurement, I followed the correct course of action considering the circumstances." He was pacing back and forth in their accommodation on Alderaan while the others lounged in various states of rest.

"This sort of thing is more complex than military strategy," Hunter responded.

"Yeah!" Wrecker contributed from the corner, through a mouthful of some kind of meat he was eating off a bone, "Women, you know?"

"He doesn't know," Crosshair sneered from the table, where his 773 was laid out in a meticulous pattern for each part to receive a thorough scrutiny, "This is all ridiculous, and not at all our purpose."

"Well, you tried," Hunter interjected with a calming tone, "So that should give you closure."

"It would if it all added up," Tech argued, stopping his pacing momentarily, "But it simply does not make sense."

"Look, I know you're hurt--" Hunter answered.

"I am not hurt," Tech interrupted, too quickly for it to be true, "It is simply an illogical pattern of cause and effect. I shall determine the confounding variable, then we may proceed."

"You're not the one who gets to determine that," Crosshair said, "You seem to forget you are a soldier of the Republic, not a free-roaming pleasure-seeker."

"We have a couple of weeks here," Hunter said, "So use your free time as you wish, but when it's time to go..."

"I am aware," Tech answered.

***

Vel rolled the spanner in her fingers, brow furrowing once again. She took a deep breath, the scents of repair bay a familiar and soothing cocktail of machinery and solvents. A week had passed since the squad had appeared, reviving the tumult inside that had been thoroughly stifled by months of hurt and new interest. None if it made sense, though. Things had been going so smoothly with Arthen, and then this last week had felt decidedly off. His even-tempered, cheerful demeanor had shifted noticeably; he seemed oddly possessive and wanted to know far more about her plans than usual. 

When asked about it, he brushed it off as concern for her, followed by distraction through a variety of means, from discussing future plans to lavishing her with affection. It had come to a head a few times, however, when he found her perusing the holonet and angrily insisted on reviewing her communication log. 

And then there was Tech. She knew he was still there because she could see their ship in the yard with its neatly folded wings, and she fought to stuff down the memories. She longed to talk to him but refused to be jilted again, yet there was a nagging feeling that she couldn't quite resolve. She set the spanner on a nearby table and went to return her protective gear to the utility closet. 

The repair bay door whooshed open. She turned, expecting to see Arthen, but felt her heart skip a beat as Tech's frame appeared in the doorway. He entered tentatively, fully armored, and looked around the room through his helmet visor, locating her after an inquisitive scan of the surroundings.

"Vel," he began, heading straight for her as he lifted his visor, "There is something I have to tell you."

Possibility after possibility flew through her mind, words that she had hoped to hear him say for so long, but each one felt like a barbed insult after the months of being ignored. 

"I don't know if I want to hear it, Tech," she said, feeling her resolve lessen slightly as he drew near. She had forgotten the way he looked in his helmet, large brown eyes shining from its geometric shape, antennae accentuating every movement of his head. 

"I must insist. Please," he said, voice betraying a hint of desperation that seemed out of character. "Things are not as they have appeared, and I have determined why. I believe this information will change your perception of our current situation."

Now she was curious, though resentfully so, and his earnestness won her over. "Let's hear it then," she said, leaning on the cabinet behind her.

"I tapped into the central communication database to track the many transmissions I sent to you during our time apart. It appears they were re-routed to the medical center staff instead of delivered to your patient inbox. Am I correct in assuming that none of them were relayed to you verbally?"

Vel shook her head, partially to indicate her answer and partially in an attempt to rattle her brain into sorting all of this out. She was reeling at the information and what it could mean, and was fortunately spared from speech.

"I surmised as much," Tech continued, his voice rising in volume. "Vel, I was forced to leave during your slumber, therefore I immediately dispatched a transmission to you when we left." He took a step closer, shifting uncomfortably on his feet yet keeping his amber eyes fixed on hers. "I continued to do so on a regular basis, after each mission. I determined it appropriate to share with you the revelations I received upon an analysis of my feelings and proceeded to do so in a variety of ways. You have been at the forefront of my thoughts, often invasively so, and I have anticipated with eagerness a time in which we would be reunited."

It took her a minute to translate it all... the admittance, the implications... the vulnerability. Her heart leapt into her throat as the realization dawned on her, and her assumptions built over the last number of months began to crumble. She was staggering beneath the weight of it all when Tech continued.

"I have attempted to contain, divert, or repress these thoughts, but it appears the emotional system will run its course regardless of mental prowess. In vain have I struggled, and it will not do. My feelings will not be repressed." As he finished, he mentally reviewed his speech and determined it was not the work of art he had hoped. 

"I don't know what to say," Vel said softly, rubbing her head with a hand. 

"I have three things, then," Tech responded in his irresistibly factual manner, "First of all, I would recommend you explore the reason behind the diversion of your communications, using this information." He stepped closer, pressing a data card into her hand before taking a step back and continuing, "Secondly, I encountered this blossom on Glee Anselm and thought of you; I hoped it would bring you delight in its unique ability to bloom for an entire year when kept submerged in water." He produced a small, clear sphere from his utility pouch, holding it up in front of her. The pale green blossom within it caught the light, and she felt a small smile creep onto her face at its delicate beauty. 

"It is almost a precise match to the color of your irises," Tech said, and she looked at him in wonder. 

"Everyone assumes my eyes are grey," Vel said, suddenly feeling as though she might cry.

"Assumptions are often inaccurate when investigated further," He continued, unfazed. "Thirdly, before I leave, I want you to know that I will respect any decision you make in regard to our further interactions. You may respond at your own convenience and comfort." He stepped closer to her, tilting his head amiably, and placed the flower sphere in her other hand before giving almost a slight bow as he turned and left.

Vel stood motionless, jaw slack and eyes wide. The sphere felt weightless in her hand, but the meaning it contained rested heavily on her mind. She had some reflecting to do.