16. Untraditional

Vel was shocked at the team's appearance. Crosshair looked incredibly suave, and the sight of Hunter with a man-bun was a disproportionate delight. Her eyes continued to Wrecker, and she broke into a smile at the sight of his handlebar mustache, shaking her head affectionately. She shifted her gaze to the end, where she found Tech leaning slightly sideways on the bar. 

Her smile faded and her eyes widened a bit at the sight of him. His blacks and armor had been replaced with a brown wool suit that was reminiscent of an older time period. Somehow, he had found one that fit him perfectly, from the trousers to the jacket with its smart little pocket square. Underneath that was a matching brown vest, into which he had tucked a perfectly-folded tie and a dress shirt. His collar was buttoned all the way up, and his signature goggles were overshadowed by a matching newsboy cap that somehow made his jawline stand out even more. 

She noticed him looking at her then, and dropped her eyes to ensure she didn't tumble down the remaining stairs. Her heart beat faster in her chest as she wove through the crowd to the bar counter, clutching a shiny black purse in one hand and her skirt in the other. As she reached their group, she stood in front of them all, feeling wildly out of her comfort zone and entirely unsure what to say. 

"Hi," she said almost shyly, eyes fixed on the foot of one of the stools. "Sorry to make you wait."

"You look amazing!" Wrecker said, giving her a push on the shoulder that was intended to be gentle but still almost knocked her over. "Look at you!"

"Yes," Tech chimed in, and at the sound of his voice, she felt a quick clench in her chest. It was then that she looked up, meeting his gaze. She couldn't believe how different he looked, and she also couldn't believe how it was making her feel. It was the same old Tech, from his eyes to his posture, but the way the vest curved across his chest and the whole suit tightened around his waist...

"You are exceedingly beautiful this evening," Tech continued, and Vel felt as if she were glowing, at least before he finished: "You are excellent bait for the unintelligent male gaze."

"There it is," Hunter said, and Crosshair's lips gave the hint of a smile as he stood up, finishing his drink while Hunter continued. "Okay, so we do whatever we can to help Vel catch his eye without being obvious. Once you do," he said, addressing her now, "You charm him into showing you around. When you figure out where the lab is, you put your marker on the doorframe and tap it twice. Got it?" 

"Got it," Vel said, anxiously smoothing the front of her dress and shifting from one foot to the other.

"Hey," Hunter said, reaching out and tipping her chin up with a single finger underneath. His simmering presence caught her off guard, and she met his gaze with a surprised gawk. "That's not who you are tonight, remember?" His eyes were warm, voice encouraging, and she resolved to complete her task to the best of her ability.

"Right," she replied, and, taking one last deep breath, stepped back, lifting her head and putting on an air of uninterested confidence, as if this were just another day in her boring, rich life. 

"That's more like it," Hunter said, giving the tip of her nose one tiny tap. "You're too good for Jouren Terrik. Unattainable, and therefore irresistible. Now go get 'em."

Vel nodded, then turned to face the gambling floor, searching for the Pantoran. What she didn't see was Tech's face behind her as he caught sight of her other side. Her sleek white dress was fastened behind her neck with one dainty bow, leaving the entire curve of her back exposed until the satin came over her hips and joined in the middle in a rounded V.

Tech's breath caught in his throat and his datapad fell slightly to the side in his hand, the corner meeting the counter with a quiet thunk. His eyes took in her intricately twisted hair, following the stately column of her neck and the graceful valley of her spine down to her lower back, where the dress came together and a cascade of shimmering fabric lay in luxurious folds. His mouth felt suddenly dry, and he felt a strong urge to reach out and trace a hand down her back, to see how soft was her skin, how gentle her curves. The sheer rush of everything at once was overwhelming.