31. Conspiracy

Tech and Vel wove their way through 79s, getting jostled in every direction. As soon as they found an upstairs corner with a smidge of space around a single stool, she whipped off her shoes as quickly as possible. Tech's mouth opened immediately, but she was one step ahead of him. "Don't worry, I'll put them back on for the contest." They shared a smile, and he offered her the stool, but she preferred to stand beside him, gazing over the railing at the boisterous crowd below.

Vel shifted awkwardly on her feet, pulling her skirt up, her shirt down, and her neckline closer together. She tried to fold her arms across her chest, but it looked odd with them up so high. Opting to lean both elbows on the railing, she tucked both fists under her chin, allowing her forearms to cover her up somewhat. But that felt weird too. She should have told Tech to find out when the contest judging would begin, instead of potentially having to be here all night.

"Are you uncomfortable?" Tech asked, leaning close to her ear and speaking loudly to be able to be heard over the music and crowd.

"This isn't really my style," came the honest answer. "I mean... look at these..." Vel stood up again, gesturing to her ample bosom that flowed across the top of the shirt like that of a German beer maiden. Tech's eyes dropped briefly, returning to her face with supersonic speed, and a flush crept across his cheeks, barely discernible in the dark and neon lighting of the club. His mouth felt dry, and he cleared his throat before swallowing a few times. "Sorry, I don't mean to shove em in your face," she laughed, now blushing along with him. "It's like they have a mind of their own in this outfit."

Tech smirked, returning his eyes to the crowd below as he shuffled his arms out of his jacket sleeves, sliding it off his shoulders and holding it up to her with a hand on each side. "Would you like to wear this?"

Vel's heart warmed at his chivalry, and she sheepishly took the jacket, slipping it over her own shoulders and clutching it together in front with one hand.

"Thank you," she said, eyes large with emotion. She was finding it increasingly hard to think about anything other than him when they were apart, and when they were together, it took all her resolve to keep her hands (and mouth) off of him. He, on the other hand, seemed completely unfazed. Like an on and off switch, he would be completely normal and functional in everyday life, then become someone entirely different during a moment of passion. It was intoxicatingly addictive, and as the warmth and scent of him wrapped around her, she felt almost dizzy. "Maybe this outfit was a mistake," she admitted. "But you look amazing."

"I apologize for neglecting to mention it earlier..." Tech began, turning to face her and sliding a finger along his collar as if it were too tight. "But... I did not anticipate that your attire would be so... form-fitting..." He swallowed again, eyes dropping to the floor.

"Is it bad?" Vel asked, feeling uncharacteristically vulnerable. When had his opinion come to matter so much to her? Bah, that was a silly question. She cared what he thought from the beginning, it was just easier to pretend that she didn't. Her mind began to race with a million possibilities of why he wouldn't look at her too long, none of which were positive.

"Terrible," he answered, sending her eyebrows shooting straight up. He bit his lip for a moment, formulating his words, then lifted his gaze back to her face, which surprised him with how angry it looked.

"This whole thing was your idea!" she yelled, disproportionately hurt by his disapproval. "I wouldn't be caught dead in this if not for you..." Her words drifted off as he stepped in close, one hand on her waist outside his jacket, the other gently tugging her toward him by the lapel.

"You misunderstand," he said, dipping his head to bring his husky voice nearer to her ear. "I do not comprehend how anyone in your immediate vicinity is expected to function with such an exquisite sight in their field of vision." He pulled back a little to meet her gaze, his face tantalizingly close. "I also cannot fathom how a single person is able to be so irresistibly attractive in such a variety of ensembles. You..." he swallowed again, eyes wandering across her features, "You are as captivating in a tunic as you are in an evening gown. As beautiful in your mechanic attire as you are now. Your allure comes not from what you wear, but from who you are. It is you that I find completely irresistible. Every time I see you with a different appearance, that realization grows."