32. Catastrophe

The trooper stumbled as he dismounted his speeder bike on a quiet platform in the lower levels. Clasping a hand to his head, he made his way into the warehouse, slipping through a narrow crack in the doors after a surreptitious glance around. Dropping quickly down the central shaft that connected the underworld to the surface above, the Marauder blasted an escaping probe droid with one precise shot and landed on the same platform a few minutes later, tucking its wings neatly as it settled onto the durasteel. The stairs unfolded, Tech charging down them before they even hit the ground. Why he was so invested in what may be a complete fluke, he didn't know. But there was something in the conviction of the clone's voice, as well as the disproportionate response from the Chancellor's troopers, that made him want to hear more. And he was fairly certain the trooper wouldn't be given the chance if the Coruscant Guard got to him first.

His footsteps echoed as he ran past the stacks of crates and other random items in the warehouse. He was grateful to be back in his armor as he scanned the area with his helmet visor, identifying a heat signature off to the side. A hurried explanation to Vel had gotten them both on the ship immediately, and he'd scrambled to change out of his costume while instructing her on the nuances of piloting the ship. The clock was ticking as he approached the clone, who was leaning heavily against the wall, one arm clutched around his middle as he breathed heavily.

Judging by the tone of his voice in the refresher and the current circumstances, Tech decided on the best course of action – one that wouldn't leave anything up to chance, especially in the clone's agitated state. He crept silently until he had a straight line of sight, then lifted his blaster and pulled the trigger. A bright blue oval dropped Fives where he stood, and Tech was on him instantly, throwing his unconscious body over his shoulder and sprinting back to the ship.

* * *

The shimmering blue lines of hyperspace were usually a comforting sight to Tech, but he couldn't stop jiggling his leg and shifting in his seat, constantly revising the scenarios in his mind in an attempt to discern the next steps. The clone was passed out in Vel's quarters, which now functioned as a prison again with the door securely locked, and she had finally freed herself of the costume, back in a simple tunic, pants, and boots. The makeup, however, would have to wait. She approached him in the cockpit, noting his anxious behavior, and settled into the seat beside him.

"Do you have a chance now to fill me in on what the heck is going on?"

"This clone is allegedly aware of a large conspiracy involving the clone army, the Jedi, and the Chancellor. He was trying to contact his captain, but the Coruscant Guard seemed to be doing everything they could to prevent that, which gives me pause. I... kidnapped him... for further investigation."

"Geez, Tech! They're going to be coming after us now!" Vel said in alarm, eyebrows drawing up in the middle. "Why were you even involved? Nevermind... What are we doing to do with him?"

"I am not certain. I do not believe our involvement will be identified, as I destroyed the probe droid they were using to follow him. However, I do not doubt there are surveillance cameras and other such security measures that could be accessed. At this point, it is a race against the clock to expose the plot, if there is one, before the signs point back to us."

"I think I preferred the costume contest," Vel said miserably, rubbing her face with her hands and completely forgetting about the makeup.

* * *

The next few days felt like a blur. The entire galaxy was turned upside down as the truth about the inhibitor chips and the Chancellor's sinister intentions for the clone army was revealed. All was thrown into complete chaos. The war was over. The clones were free. The Senate scrambled to maintain a semblance of structure and plans. Palpatine was punted into the enclosure he'd created to hold the Zillo beast, where the creature proceeded to gobble him up so thoroughly that even pure hatred couldn't keep him alive.

Clone Force 99 had remained on Kamino, and as the whole thing came to light, they began to wonder what their future would hold. They wanted to remain together, although they bickered furiously about every single nuance and detail, and it became quickly apparent the role that Echo had come to fill in their dynamic. Fortunately, he was discharged a day later, fitted head to toe with advanced cybernetics that were as practical as they were comfortable. And it just so happened that it was the same day that Fives was dismissed from his endless witness testimonials and media interviews, rejoining the Batch on Kamino to thank them for their part.

The door to their barracks whooshed open, admitting Echo, who was wearing the simple medical apparel given to all patients. Crosshair was making love to cleaning his rifle in a corner, Wrecker was arguing with Tech over a schematic spread across a table, and Hunter was in deep conversation with Fives near the large windows that made up nearly an entire wall. Vel had escaped to Tech's bunk, where she was engrossed in a holonovel, but she greeted Echo warmly when she saw him return.

"Heyyy, look at you! How do you feel?" she said brightly, laying the datapad on the bunk beside her.

"As good as I ever will, I guess," Echo answered with a shrug, although there was a distinct curve to his lips that suggested a hidden smile lurking beneath the sarcasm.

"Well, it's good to have you back. Apparently some stuff has happened," Vel teased, and Echo rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, no kidding. I heard bits and pieces in the med bay, but..."

His words drifted off as Fives stood up, staring at him with wide eyes and an open mouth. Echo fell silent, taking in the shaved head, which was new, and the goatee, which was not. Fives approached him step by step, moving as though he were wading through mud, face as white as if he'd seen a Force ghost.

"Echo?" he said, his voice cracking with emotion.

The brown eyes in Echo's pale face melted, revealing a softness and joy like beams of sunlight breaking through clouds. "I'm back," he said with a shrug, which was immediately frozen in place by Fives' arms squeezing him in a giant hug, a huge grin across both their faces.

"How did no one tell me about this?!" Fives yelled, swinging Echo back and forth so vigorously that he began to protest. "What the kriff! Alright..." he said, suddenly businesslike as he released his vice grip. "You have a lot of explaining to do." His stern tone was belied by the beaming delight on his face, and Echo clapped him on the back as they headed for Echo's bunk, deep in conversation within seconds.

"Well that's adorable," Wrecker said, wiping a tear from his eye with a large knuckle. Tech took this as a sign that their dispute was over (and that he had won) and rolled up the schematic blueprint they'd been studying.

"I believe it is time we made some concrete decisions about our desired future and the next steps to attain it," he announced, oblivious to the tone in the room.

"Let's go wherever you want," Echo called over Fives' shoulder, waving his scomp arm in an expressive gesture. "I'm sure you already have it figured out already." The two of them chuckled like mischievous schoolchildren in the yard, putting their heads back together for further discussion.

"I do have a variety of options, each with their advantages and drawbacks..."

"Just give it a minute, Tech," said Hunter, rubbing his forehead with a hand. "No one is kicking us out this minute."

Vel caught Tech's gaze across the room, a little half-smile of understanding on her face. They'd had a few discussions, stealing away in quiet moments which were few and far between, casting a vision for a potential future that neither of them had ever dreamed they could have. It had felt surreal, combining their interests and preferences, painting a picture of an idyllic and quiet life full of curiosity and exploration, hard work and fulfillment. Vel didn't know it, but Tech had already made plans and had even solidified some of them on his own.

His only remaining task was convincing the rest to go along with them.

* * *